Another journalist arrested, held incommunicado for past month

first_img Organisation August 17, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Another journalist arrested, held incommunicado for past month RSF laureates support jailed Vietnamese journalist Pham Doan Trang April 27, 2021 Find out more News April 22, 2021 Find out more Three more independent reporters arrested in Vietnam RSF_en Vietnam sentences journalist Tran Thi Tuyet Dieu to eight years in prison Receive email alerts to go furthercenter_img News April 7, 2021 Find out more VietnamAsia – Pacific News Follow the news on Vietnam Help by sharing this information As the Vietnamese authorities continue to arrest and convict bloggers, Reporters Without Borders has just learned that they have also been holding the journalist and political essayist Pham Chi Dung for the past month.”Holding a citizen incommunicado for a month before letting his arrest be known is the hallmark of an arbitrary regime,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We reiterate our outrage at the current renewed crackdown on all those who dare to criticize. “The Vietnamese authorities are again displaying complete intolerance and incomprehension towards criticism, which they automatically regard as a weapon designed to overthrow the government. Dung must be released at once and given a fair trial.” Arrested on 17 July, the 46-year-old Dung is charged with an attempt to overthrow the government. The authorities claim that he “conspired with foreign reactionaries” and “worked on documents containing elements that were entirely fabricated and defamed the government with the aim of overthrowing it.” Dung used to be a senior interior ministry official assigned to the Ho Chi Minh City popular committee (government). He also worked for several years with Truong Tan Sang, who is now Vietnam’s president.He had pursued a literary career since 1986 and in recent years had written by-lined articles for the online magazine Phia Truoc that touched on such sensitive subjects as corruption, the lack of media freedom, environmental issues, the influence of interest groups in Vietnamese politics and the prime minster’s tight control over part of the economy.Vietnam is ranked 172nd out of 179 countries in the 2011/2012 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index and, with at least five journalists and 19 netizens currently held, is the world’s third biggest prison for bloggers and cyber-dissidents, after China and Iran. It is also one of the 12 countries that Reporters Without Borders calls “Enemies of the Internet” because of their systematic use of cyber-censorship. News VietnamAsia – Pacific last_img read more


Detailed guide: Healthcare after Brexit: UK residents visiting the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland

first_img an EU, Norwegian, Icelandic, Liechtenstein or Swiss national, and started living in the UK before 1 January 2021 receiving a UK State Pension or some other ‘exportable benefits’, and started living in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland before 1 January 2021 a ‘frontier worker’ (someone who works in one state and lives in another), and started being one before 1 January 2021, for as long as you continue to be a frontier worker in the host state an eligible family member or dependant of one of the above the Channel Islands, including Guernsey, Alderney and Sark the Isle of Man Monaco San Marino the Vatican Read more about travelling with controlled medicines.Read guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines.Getting prescriptionsIf you need to get prescribed medicine while you’re away, speak to a pharmacist in the country you’re visiting. You may need a prescription from a local doctor.You may have to pay something towards the cost of your prescription.If you have an EHIC or GHIC, you should pay the same as a citizen of the EU country you’re visiting. Make sure your prescription is from a state-approved doctor in the EU.Travelling to have planned treatmentYou cannot use an EHIC or GHIC for planned treatment. For example, if you’re going abroad to give birth.Read the NHS guide to going abroad for medical treatment. Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel adviceSee the latest health advice for UK travellers following the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19). When you travel to an EU country you should have either: Travelling with a health conditionBuy travel insurance with healthcare cover for your condition. Your EHIC or GHIC will cover medically necessary treatment.Read the Money and Pensions Advice Service guidance for buying travel insurance for people with pre-existing medical conditions.If you need to have treatment while you’re abroad, you may need to pre-arrange it. For example, if you need dialysis or oxygen treatment. Speak to your doctor in the UK for advice before you travel.UK prescriptions can be used in Ireland and Spain. You cannot use a UK prescription elsewhere in the EU.Bringing medicine with youBefore you travel, make sure you either: visiting Spain visiting Ireland going to live, study or work in the EU If you do not have your EHIC or GHIC with youYou’ll need to apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) if you need treatment and you do not have your EHIC or GHIC, or your card is lost or stolen abroad.Call the Overseas Healthcare Services. This is part of the NHS Business Services Authority (BSA). This information is about visiting the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. There’s different guidance for healthcare if you’re: NHS Overseas Healthcare ServicesTelephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm Check with the embassy, high commission or consulate for the country you’re visiting about local rules on any specific medicines.You need a letter to prove your medicine is prescribed to you if it contains a ‘controlled drug’. You may need to show this at the border when you’re entering or leaving the UK.You may also need a licence for controlled drugs if: An EHIC or GHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance. Make sure you have both before you travel.Each healthcare system is different, and in some countries you’ll need to pay to have treatment.Apply for a GHICA GHIC lets you get medically necessary state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.If your EHIC is still in date, you do not need to apply for a new GHIC.They’re both valid if you’re travelling to an EU country.Apply for a GHIC for free on the NHS website.Visiting Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and SwitzerlandYou can use a UK passport to get medically necessary healthcare in Norway.GHICs and most UK EHICs are not valid in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. Make sure you take out travel insurance with medical cover for your trip.You may not have access to free emergency medical treatment and could be charged for your healthcare if you do not get health cover with your travel insurance.Visits that started in 2020 and end in 2021If you started your visit to Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland before 1 January 2021, your UK EHIC entitlements will continue until you leave that country.Who can use a UK-issued EHIC a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) travel insurance with healthcare cover take enough medication to last the duration of your trip can get any medicine you need in the country you’re going to Apply now for your new UK EHIC on the NHS website.UK students using an EHICIf you started living and studying in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland before 1 January 2021, you need to apply for a new UK-issued EHIC.This entitles you to medically necessary state healthcare until the end of your course.Using your EHIC or GHICAn EHIC or GHIC covers state healthcare, not private treatment.With an EHIC or GHIC you can get emergency or necessary medical care for the same cost as a resident in the country you’re visiting. This means that you can get healthcare at a reduced cost or for free.Find out what your card covers in each country. You can select the country you are planning to visit from the drop-down list.An EHIC or GHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance – it does not cover everything, such as mountain rescue or being flown back to the UK (medical repatriation). Make sure you have both before you travel.You’ll need to pay in full for treatment if you do not have an EHIC, GHIC or provisional replacement certificate (PRC).The following European countries do not accept the EHIC or GHIC: your trip is longer than 3 months you’re travelling with more than 3 months’ supply Some people can get a new UK-issued EHIC which is valid for visits to Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.You’ll be able to apply if you’re:last_img read more