hzcmlbjc

‘Disturbed That Investigation Is Not Even Complete’ : Bombay HC To CBI, SIT On Dhabolkar-Pansare Murder Cases

first_imgNews Updates’Disturbed That Investigation Is Not Even Complete’ : Bombay HC To CBI, SIT On Dhabolkar-Pansare Murder Cases Sharmeen Hakim12 March 2021 11:55 PMShare This – xThe Bombay High Court has asked the Central Bureau of Investigation and the State Special Investigation Team (SIT) when will they complete their probe into the murders of communist leader, Govind Pansare and anti-superstition crusader Narendra Dabholkar, respectively. A division bench of Justices JJ Shinde and Manish Pitale asked for status reports after it was informed that the trial…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Bombay High Court has asked the Central Bureau of Investigation and the State Special Investigation Team (SIT) when will they complete their probe into the murders of communist leader, Govind Pansare and anti-superstition crusader Narendra Dabholkar, respectively. A division bench of Justices JJ Shinde and Manish Pitale asked for status reports after it was informed that the trial in journalist Gauri Lankesh’s 2017 murder, in Karnataka, with a similar set of accused, has already begun but the investigation is still not complete, in Maharashtra. “One day there has to be an end to this. This is a 2013 incident; we are in 2021. We are disturbed by the petitioner’s statement that the trial has already begun in Karnataka, but here the investigation is not even complete. The incident in Karnataka is after this.” The HC is monitoring the investigation into the murders of Dabholkar on August 20, 2013, and CPI leader Govind Pansare on February 20, 2015, on a clutch of petitions by their families. The case was heard last in February 2020 by a bench headed by Justice SC Dharmadhikari. During the hearing on Friday, Additional Solicitor General, Anil Singh, submitted that the CBI has been filing status reports on Dabholkar’s murder from time to time. “This matter has come up suddenly, we will file a report.” “It has been specially assigned to us. What is progress?” Justice Shinde asked. Advocate Abhay Nevagi appearing for the families of the slain activists said that there are four murders Dabholkar, Pansare, renowned epigraphist MM Kalburgi and journalist Gauri Lankesh. Kalburgi was shot dead on August 30, 2015, while Lankesh was assassinated on September 5, 2017. Nevagi submitted that it was the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) that found a link in all four cases. And while the CBI had filed three charge sheets against the four accused in the Dabholkar case, the SIT has made no headway in Pansare’s case. AGS said that in their case five arrests were made and one person is on bail. “This case is coming for the first time before us but this is an old incident.” Justice Shinde observed. Nevagi then informed the court that the Karnataka cases had made progress and the trial had already begun in Gauri Lankesh’s case. Nevagi later clarified that the discharge pleas of certain accused were rejected and the prosecutor was in the process of submitting draft charges to the court. “Citizens must know that in such a sensitive case, when will the investigation and trial be completed. We are not creating aspersions on the investigation but still.” Justice Shinde said. The Court then posted the matter for hearing on March 30 with a specific direction to the State and CBI to come with a positive statement.     Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Storylast_img read more

eklgwnjs

It’s Only a Play Opens on Broadway

first_img View Comments Congratulations to the insane cast of It’s Only a Play! Hopefully your party is a little less…tense. Now, do you mind if we squeeze into that selfie? Talk about meta. The star-packed It’s Only a Play, the Jack O’Brien-helmed comedy about theater folk celebrating (and dreading) their show’s opening night reviews, opens officially on the Great White Way on October 9 at the Schoenfeld Theatre. To commemorate the special performance of the Terrence McNally play, Broadway.com resident artist Justin “Squigs” Robertson penned this sketch of the zany bunch. Related Shows About the Artist: With a desire to celebrate the magic of live theater and those who create it, and with a deep reverence for such touchstones as the work of Al Hirschfeld and the wall at Sardi’s, Squigs is happy and grateful to be among those carrying on the traditions where theater and caricature meet. He was born and raised in Oregon, lived in Los Angeles for quite a long time and now calls New York City his home.center_img The gang’s all there (clockwise from top left): Oscar winner F. Murray Abraham as hot-tempered critic Ira Drew, Tony and Emmy winner Stockard Channing as the pill-popping starlet Virginia Noyes, Harry Potter star Rupert Grint as wunderkind director/klepto Frank Finger, Emmy winner Megan Mullally as fledgling producer Julia Budder, Tony winner Matthew Broderick as hopeful playwright Peter Austin, Tony winner Nathan Lane as Peter’s pal and eccentric TV star James Wicker and newcomer Micah Stock, making his Broadway debut as actor/singer/dancer/comedian/performance artist/mime and coat check attendant Gus. Show Closed This production ended its run on June 7, 2015 It’s Only a Playlast_img read more

kxmuryyv

One killed in Jennings County crash

first_imgNorth Vernon, In. — The Indiana State Police and the Jennings County Sheriff’s Department investigated a crash that took one life Monday morning near State Route 750 and County Road 200 North.The report says Christean M. Price, 51, of St. Paul, was eastbound on State Route 750 around 8:45 when she crossed the centerline and collided with a car driven by Angela Abston, 49, of St. Paul. The Price vehicle landed on its side in the roadway and the Abston vehicle left the north side of the roadway before coming to a stop.Abston was pronounced dead at the scene. Price was airlifted to anIndianapolis hospital with serious injuries. Four passengers with Price suffered minor injuries.State Road 750 was closed for about four hours during the cleanup and accident reconstruction.The Indiana State Police were assisted by the Jennings County Sheriff’s Department, North Vernon Police Department, Jennings County EMS, Jennings County Fire, Indiana Department of Transportation, North Vernon Street Department, Jennings County Coroner’s Office, and Pearson’s Wrecker Service.last_img read more

zeucsxbr

CSUB, UTRGV meet in WAC quarters

first_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNo. 7 seed Cal State Bakersfield (12-19, 6-10) vs. No. 2 seed Texas Rio Grande Valley (14-16, 9-7)Western Athletic Conference Tourney Quarterfinals, Orleans Arena, Las Vegas; Thursday, 8 p.m. EDTBOTTOM LINE: A spot in the WAC semifinals is on the line as Cal State Bakersfield is set to take on Texas Rio Grande Valley. The teams split the regular season series at one win apiece. The teams last met on Feb. 27, when the Roadrunners shot 51.9 percent from the field while limiting Texas Rio Grande Valley’s shooters to just 35.7 percent en route to the 20-point victory. March 11, 2020 ___For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com STEPPING UP: Texas Rio Grande Valley’s Lesley Varner II has averaged 15.6 points and six rebounds while Javon Levi has put up 11.4 points, eight assists and 2.4 steals. For the Roadrunners, Taze Moore has averaged 11.5 points while Czar Perry has put up 8.4 points.FACILITATING THE OFFENSE: Levi has made or assisted on 47 percent of all Texas Rio Grande Valley field goals over the last three games. Levi has accounted for 17 field goals and 20 assists in those games.WINLESS WHEN: The Roadrunners are 0-10 when they allow 73 or more points and 12-9 when they hold opponents to anything under 73 points. The Vaqueros are 0-10 when they score 67 points or fewer and 14-6 when they exceed 67.ASSIST-TO-FG RATIO: The Vaqueros have recently used assists to create buckets more often than the Roadrunners. Texas Rio Grande Valley has an assist on 41 of 78 field goals (52.6 percent) across its previous three matchups while Cal State Bakersfield has assists on 34 of 71 field goals (47.9 percent) during its past three games.DID YOU KNOW: The Texas Rio Grande Valley defense has forced opponents into turnovers on an impressive 24.8 percent of all possessions, which is the seventh-highest rate in the country. Cal State Bakersfield has turned the ball over on 20.3 percent of its possessions (ranked 270th among Division I teams).center_img Associated Press CSUB, UTRGV meet in WAC quarterslast_img read more

jjhjxpjp

How much is Hertha willing to offer to Ibišević?

first_imgCaptain of Hertha, Vedad Ibišević, is in an amazing shape at the beginning of the new season.The BiH striker scored six goals. Ibišević is still negotiating the extension of contract with the team from the German capital, which expires at the end of the next season.“We are still discussing the contract. At the moment, everything looks fine. I have already said that I want to stay here. Will I sign before the winter break? Not necessarily, but the sooner I sign the better it is for both parties,” said Ibišević.Allegedly, money is not a problem because Hertha is willing to give three million EUR annually to the BiH striker.(Source: faktor.ba)last_img

drnfhaky

49ers pregame: Reuben Foster not only big name out vs. Bucs

first_imgTAMPA — Not only will the 49ers face the Bucs today without linebacker Reuben Foster but they’ll also be missing several key offensive players.Wide receivers Marquise Goodwin and Pierre Garçon will not suit up, nor will running back Alfred Morris for the first time this season.Kendrick Bourne will start in place of Garçon (knee) and Dante Pettis will make his third career start as Goodwin was excused Saturday to return home for a personal matter.Morris’ benching was foreshadowed by the …last_img

yqggxlum

Why the Giants chose Scott Harris as GM and what his hire means for the franchise

first_imgSAN FRANCISCO — At his introductory press conference last November, Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi charted a bold new course for the future of the franchise.On his first day on the job on Monday, new general manager Scott Harris asserted himself as the co-captain for a front office that believes the Giants are headed down the right path.“We’re going to try to compete as much as possible on and off the field to put us in a position to transform, like we did in Chicago,” …last_img

sgqthsga

SA, Tunisia forge closer ties

first_img18 October 2004President Thabo Mbeki wrapped up a two-day visit to Tunisia last week with the signing of three cooperation agreements on jobs, culture and health.The signing of the agreements was witnessed by Mbeki and Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.The agreements include a memorandum of understanding on employment, on cultural co-operation between 2004 and 2007, and on co-operation in the field of public health and medical benefits.Mbeki was accompanied by a high-level delegation of politicians and businessmen, and three separate agreements were signed during a meeting between representatives of employers’ organisations and the chambers of commerce of the two countries.These seek to boost trade by giving the private sector a bigger role, including the possibility of establishing a direct air link between the two countries.According to the Department of Foreign Affairs, the two presidents also discussed details of a technical project to recruit South African medical and paramedical staff to Tunisia, and a joint venture in the pharmaceutical industry.During a binational commission in July, the two countries agreed to abolish visa requirements for the holders of official passports. They also agreed to cooperate in the field of sport, and signed an agreement on technical cooperation between the Tunisia’s Institute of Normalisation and Industrial Property of Tunisia and the South African Bureau of Standards.According to the department, relations between the two countries have steadily progressed since 1993, and a number of important commercial exchanges have taken place since the first binational commission in 1996.Tunisian industrial group Poulina has confirmed its intention to invest in the South African tourism sector, while South African furniture and household retailer Profurn is in the process of acquiring equity in Tunisian firm Batam.“Benefiting from the geographic location of Tunisia and its excellent infrastructure, Profurn is using Tunisia as a base for penetrating the increasingly lucrative North African market”, the department said.“Subsequently, the two companies have established a presence in Tunisia, Morocco and Egypt, with plans to eventually expand to Algeria and Libya.”Source: Department of Foreign Affairslast_img read more

jjhjxpjp

SA firms merge to form BEE giant

first_img“It will have an enhanced balance sheet strength, portfolio diversification and stronger cash-flow profile, creating more opportunities for growth.” KTH chief executive Kgomotso Matseke, in a statement issued earlier this month, said the transaction was “about creating the scale to give us access to larger and more attractive transactions … With a bigger, more robust balance sheet and a broader and deeper pool of management experience, we are better positioned to pursue material interests in the most attractive assets.” Matseke will lead the KTH management team along with deputy CEO Vuyisa Nkonyeni, financial director Frencel Gillion, chief investment officer Jacob Hinson, and Afzal Patel. Tiso Group founders Nkululeko Sowazi and David Adomakoh will be non-executive directors. Mutual aspiration A merger committee that will oversee full implementation of the merger has been established for an interim period and is chaired by Sowazi. Sowazi will also co-chair the board of directors with Nthobokae Angel. The merged company, Kagiso Tiso Holdings (KTH), will be led by a “strong, proven and predominantly black management team with a depth of skills and experience,” the companies said in a statement. “This merger by two black-owned companies, driven by a mutual aspiration to build a noteworthy business platform that is reflective of the new South Africa, is a great milestone for the country’s economic transformation project,” said Sowazi. “It represents a validation and maturation of black economic empowerment and the creation of an enterprise that will deliver both social and shareholder value.”center_img The merger has fulfilled all the legal and regulatory requirements, including approval by the Competition Commission and Competition Tribunal. SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material “We are very excited by the promise of having engineered a company that will be a leader in effective social investment,” said Angel. “The fact that two public benefit trusts are jointly the largest shareholder in KTH means that its commercial success directly impacts socio-economic development.” 27 July 2011 Kagiso Trust Investments and the Tiso Group this month completed their merger to form a black-owned South African investment company of scale, boasting a diverse base of quality assets with a gross value in excess of R13-billion.last_img read more

yqggxlum

10 months agoOFF! Crystal Palace pull out of deal for Liverpool striker Solanke

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say OFF! Crystal Palace pull out of deal for Liverpool striker Solankeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCrystal Palace have pulled out of their deal for Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke.BBC Sport reports Solanke’s proposed loan move to Crystal Palace is off because of concerns over his fitness.Palace manager Roy Hodgson confirmed the 21-year-old was a target for the January transfer window on Sunday.But Solanke has not made a first-team appearance for Liverpool this season and was ruled out of recent matches because of a muscle problem.Palace need a striker who is available to play immediately. last_img