jjhjxpjp

Police called in to investigate possible fraudulent Whim/Bloomfield NDC voters list

first_imgThe Police have been called in to investigate possible electoral fraud at the Whim/Bloomfield Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC). The People’s Progressive Party (PPP) had challenged the validity of the Alliance For Change (AFC) backers list for the upcoming Local Government Elections.The matter came up before Justice Navindra Singh on Thursday in the Berbice High Court. The writ was filed by Shafraz Beekham against the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM), who is claiming that his name and those of 50 others were fraudulently affixed to the AFC list of backers.The writ named Returning Officer Orlando Christopher Persaud and Chief Elections Officer Keith Lowenfield as the respondents. Beekham is being represented by Attorneys Anil Nandlall and Adrian Anamayah while GECOM isAttorney Anil Nandlallbeing represented by Attorneys Teni Housty and Excellence Dazzell.At the end of Thursday’s hearing, Housty told the media that he was happy with the proposed measure. He noted that it was done in the interest of justice. Nandlall, meanwhile, explained that based on the investigation, persons might be charged with fraud.“We are saying one thing and they are saying something else. Well we have invited the court to invite the Police to carry out an investigation. So all the persons they will meet with a team of Police Officers, they will make their claims to them and the Police will investigate and we will get a report from the Police next week Wednesday.That report will be passed on to the Judge and we will meet with the Judge next week Friday to determine how we will move forward. I hope that persons get locked up in this matter because this is serious forgery and people’s rights being taken away and people are being forced to support candidates and political parties that they do not support,” Nandlall said.In a sworn affidavit, Beekham, who is a registered elector on the official List of Electors for Constituency Number Three, had said that he and others wereShafraz Beekham“deliberately deceived into signing a document by an AFC representative who he claimed fraudulently represented that she was employed by GECOM and that he needed to sign a document to confirm that his name was on the voter’s list.Beekham’s legal suit stated that on Tuesday, September 25, 2018, he and other electors visited Persaud’s office in Whim to submit the affidavits to have their names withdrawn.During the hearing today, Returning Officer Orlando Christopher Persaud told the court that the names were removed, hence, there was no need for a court hearing, since the issue with Beekham’s name was resolved.“We are now told that his name was taken off of the last which it appeared on on Nomination Day. We have been battling with this issue since Nomination Day which was September 24, up until we had no redress on this matter but to file these proceedings.”During the hearing, GECOM claimed Beekham’s name was taken off of the AFC list on the evening of Nomination Day.However, Nandlall argues that up to Wednesday evening his name was still on the list which was posted at the Whim/Bloomfield NDC office. However on Thursday morning, a line was drawn over Beekham’s name and there was an attachment with new names.Returning Officer Orlando Christopher Persaud claimed that the matter was corrected by him. He also claimed that although he received statutory declarations from the other 50 persons indicating that their names were fraudulently placed on the AFC list, he could do nothing about it as he had already issued letters ofChief Elections Officer Keith Lowenfieldapproval to the AFC.But Nandlall argues that those letters could have been withdrawn. Initially, the matter was raised by the PPP GECOM Commissioners. However, this did not stop Lowenfield from placing all the names, including the backers who claim that their names were fraudulently placed on the AFC list, on the Official Gazette.Beekham is hoping to get the court to remove those names from the AFC list. Nandlall said he is hoping that the court rules in a manner which will also rectify similar issues the party has raised in other parts of Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne).Residents of Good Hope/Number 51 NDC are claiming that they did not put their names on forms which were submitted to the GECOM Retuning Officer by the AFC on Nomination Day.Residents of the Maida/Tarlogy NDC have also made similar claims of forgery happening there; likewise some residents of Johanna in Black Bush Polder.The PPP is also contending that there were similar acts at the Plegtanker/Koortbradt NDC on the East Bank of Berbice.Meanwhile, the next hearing is set for October 26 at the High Court in Georgetown. (Andrew Carmichael)last_img read more

ktlerbzp

10 months agoValencia coach Marcelino wants to send Batshuayi back to Chelsea

first_imgValencia coach Marcelino wants to send Batshuayi back to Chelseaby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveValencia want to cut short the loan of Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi.AS says the decision was made a month ago, with the Belgian failing to convince coach Marcelino and Los Che directors.Batshuayi had joined Valencia on a season-long loan, with a permanent option of €35m. But now VCF want to send him back to Chelsea next month.They paid €3m for the 12-month loan.The decision is being driven by Marcelino, who wants a more mobile and aggressive centre-forward to lead his attack. TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img

vtggkkqz

Council approves temporary use permit for Temporary Tank Farm

first_imgDuring discussion Mayor Lori Ackerman made sure that if council approved the temporary use permit and problems with the tanks surfaced, GFL Environmental would be held liable. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – City Council met Monday and approved a temporary use permit for a Temporary Tank Farm at 8831 100 street.GFL Environmental made the request to continue operations of their business on their current property, which consists of four industrial storage tanks containing used oil and glycol. The request is to stay where they are presently located until the end of their lease, which is August 31st, 2020.The tank farm has been at its present location since 2015, but the company is looking to move to the Fort St. John industrial zone once their lease expires.last_img

ojwydrni

BJP govt has taken over all premier institutions Mamata

first_imgKolkata: In an apparent reference to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s announcement of DRDO’s recent space achievement, Trinamool Congress (TMC) supremo Mamata Banerjee Sunday said the BJP government has taken over all premier institutions in the country. On March 27, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted Mission Shakti, an anti-satellite missile test, from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island launch complex, paving the way for the country to join an elite space club comprising the US, Russia, China with such specialised capability. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details Opposition parties have slammed the prime minister, saying the BJP government was trying to take credit for the DRDO’s achievement. Claiming that the people’s liberty was at stake under the BJP’s rule, Banerjee said “an atmosphere of fear” was prevailing in the country. “The BJP government has taken control of all premier institutions in the country. People here live in fear. They do not have the right to speak freely under an autocratic government,” the West Bengal chief minister said. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from Thursday Earlier, too, the chief minister had taken a jibe at Modi, terming his announcement of the DRDO mission as “yet another limitless drama to reap political benefits” ahead of the Lok Sabha polls. “India’s Mission Programme is world-class for many many years. We are always proud of our scientists, @DRDO_India, other research & space organisations,” she had tweeted, adding that “Modi, as usual, likes to take the credit for everything.” Talking to reporters at the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose airport here before leaving for Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh to participate in a Telugu Desam Party (TDP) rally, Banerjee said a “dictatorial government” is pulling the strings at the Centre using force and intimidation, “trampling democratic norms”. “Disinvestment has been done in public sector companies. Some workers are not getting salaries. The lives of farmers and labourers are under threat under the current dispensation. “I feel that everyone will come forward, keeping aside their petty interests to collectively vote against the Modi government,” said Banerjee. The CM said she would extend her support to TDP chief Chandrababu Naidu, who pulled out his party of the NDA in March 2018, alleging injustice was being done to Andhra Pradesh by the Narendra Modi government. “I am going to Visakhapatnam at the invitation of Chandrababu Naidu to extend my solidarity and participate in a public meeting,” she said. Giving details of her itinerary, Banerjee said she will visit Cooch Behar in north Bengal on April 4 and Assam the following day to address rallies. In Bengal, Banerjee claimed, she would be holding as many rallies as possible over the course of the next two weeks. “I will address nearly 100 meetings in Bengal,” the Trinamool chief said. Election to 42 Lok Sabha seats in Bengal will be held in seven phases from April 11 to May 19.last_img read more

dzbwrrpz

Bucks do away with Hoosiers sit atop crowded Big Ten race

The Ohio State men’s basketball team extended its in-conference winning streak Wednesday, beating the lowly Indiana Hoosiers 69-52. The Buckeyes (19-6, 9-3) started the game on a 9-0 run, but the Hoosiers held their own for a brief period in the first half to climb within two points at 22-20. The success, however, was short lived. As junior Evan Turner sat on the bench with two early fouls, the Buckeyes ended the half on a 12-0 run. OSU led by 14 at the break and the Hoosiers were never close again.Even after playing only three minutes in the first half, Turner ended the game with 10 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Sophomore William Buford led the way offensively for the Buckeyes, scoring 21 points on 9-17 shooting. He added seven rebounds and four assists. The story of the game, however, was the stellar play that OSU got from the center position. Junior Dallas Lauderdale matched his career high with 14 points, but more importantly, he grabbed eight rebounds and blocked a season-high seven shots. Reserve center Kyle Madsen added a career-high 11 points on 4-5 shooting.The win was the Buckeyes’ eighth in a row in Big Ten play, and with the Michigan State Spartans losing their third game in a row on Tuesday, OSU is now in a three-way tie for first in the conference.The Buckeyes are tied with the Spartans and their next opponent, Illinois. Considering their 1-3 start to conference play, it is fairly remarkable for them to be atop the league at this point in the season. If the Spartans continue to struggle, a win Sunday against the Fighting Illini could leave the Buckeyes all alone in first place. An outright regular season conference championship would be OSU’s first since the 2006-2007 season. Ohio State and Illinois square off in Champaign, Ill., Sunday at 1 p.m. read more

dzbwrrpz

Eddie Howe Sarri is one of worlds best

first_imgBournemouth manager Eddie Howe has hailed Sarri as one of the “best managers in the world” ahead of Saturday’s game at Stamford Bridge.Bournemouth will play Chelsea, who are third in the table and looking for their fourth win in four Premier League games to maintain their 100 per cent record.In the pre-match press conference, Howe said he was so impressed by Sarri’s tactics while he was in charge at Empoli that he travelled to Italy just to meet him.Tammy Abraham, ChelseaChelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.“I’d heard a lot about his Empoli team and how impressive they were tactically, so I was really keen to go and watch him work, so we made contact with his people and he was kind enough to allow us to come,” Howe told Sky Sports.“I actually don’t remember the year that I went, but I spent a period of time with Maurizio and he was brilliant with me and I learnt so much. It’s no surprise to see that he’s one of the best coaches in the world.“What I saw, I was hugely impressed by and learned a lot from that experience. He brought his Napoli team to play us last year as well – they trained here for a couple of days, we played them and it was great to see him again.”last_img read more

pvnkhcwp

Maradona denies his criticism against Lionel Messi

first_imgAfter his explosive criticism against Lionel Messi, Diego Maradona claims that the interview was doctored and he never attacked the Barcelona star.A few weeks back from his comfortable job as the Sinaloa Dorados manager, Diego Maradona made some incendiary comments about Lionel Messi’s lack of commitment in the Argentine National Team.The statement was very clear and it didn’t look doctored at all, he basically conveyed the same message that millions of Argentineans have been saying about the Barcelona star.Since he began playing for his country, Messi hasn’t won a single trophy with the first squad and he has always struggled to win the heart of many of his compatriots.When the Mexican press asked Maradona about Messi’s role in the squad, Diego’s response was very aggressive and it made a huge echo around the world.This was not the first time that the idol came after Messi for not being able to win trophies for Argentina, he has already stated that Leo has no leadership and basically dissed him several times in front of the press before.But during this new interview for Marca Claro, Maradona’s first response was to deny anything he said and insinuate that the video from that interview was doctored by Fox Sports Mexico.Maradona: “Me hubiese encantado una oportunidad en el Real Madrid. Me sobran espaldas para ello. Pero bueno, las cosas se dieron así. Hoy estoy en Dorados y soy feliz” https://t.co/3yIrBfhDR0— MARCA (@marca) November 14, 2018“It’s all lies. Leo is my friend and I would never attack one of my friends. In any case, I would tell him what I think right to his face. I would never tell him anything like that through an interview,” said Maradona on Marca.“All I’ve ever said about Leo is that he is a football phenomenon and that’s it. I also said that 20 Argentina players went to the bathroom instead of playing a crucial match, but I wasn’t referring to Messi.”“On the contrary, what Leo wanted during the 2010 World Cup was to change clothes quickly so he could step on the pitch and ask for the ball, which is something that many players didn’t want to do.”“A lot of those players wanted to hide from the ball. I am… not tired, but I do want to tell all those people that what Leo and I have is unconditional. I frankly don’t know why they have that obsession with him and I.”David Villa, FC BarcelonaTop 10 players who played for both Barcelona and Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to talk about the best players who represented both Barcelona and Valencia, prior to their La Liga encounter at Camp Nou this evening.“People could’ve compared Leo with Ronaldinho for example, ‘Dinho’ really made it “rain” in Barcelona and nobody wants to remember him. Barcelona has that characteristic. They tend to forget their idols pretty quickly.”“You can ask for Rivaldo there, after that goal he scored against Atletico Madrid, or ask about the bicycle kick goal he scored against Valencia.”“Nobody will remember him. You already know what all the papers from Barcelona are like, they will always want me and Leo to get in a fight. But I will go on a barbecue with Leo, we play foot-tennis and we are happy.”“Maybe the people think that we will need to meet with our wives and wearing suits but no, quite the opposite actually. We could easily meet wearing shorts, with no shoes and wearing a casual shirt. No problem man,” he concluded.Messi cada vez que le dicen que Maradona habla de él pic.twitter.com/hILIReDzzJ— ivar arnaldo suarez (@arnaldosuarezlo) November 14, 2018Maradona somehow believes that making these statements will make Lionel Messi forget everything he has already said, but the reality is that Diego has already lost all his credibility with contradictory statements like this.Since the first statements that Maradona made about Lionel Messi a few weeks back, there still hasn’t been any response from the player’s camp and it’s very likely that they will remain quiet about the whole ordeal.This latest Maradona attempt to extend an olive branch is just a feeble attempt to cover up a terrible mistake that may have messed with their friendship and there may not be a way back anymore.🗣 Maradona: “There are players that go to the bathroom 20 times but I never referred to Messi. What I wanted from him at the 2010 World Cup was to change, go on the pitch, look for the ball. I want to say that what I have with Leo is unconditional.”— FC Barcelona Fl 🏆 (@FCBarcelonaFl) November 14, 2018What do you think about Diego Maradona’s contradictory statements about Lionel Messi? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.last_img read more