Facebook Linkedin Email Advertisement NewsCommunityDuncan lines out in support of ActionAid Covid responseBy Alan Jacques – May 30, 2020 92 Twitter Previous articleHip Hop: PX Music on Vice.comNext articleNew Music: Aileen Downes – ‘Follow You’ Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print WhatsApp 11 April 2015; Duncan Casey in action against Edinburgh. Picture credit: Kenny Smith / SPORTSFILEFORMER Munster Rugby hooker Duncan Casey has lined out to show his support for the work of ActionAid Ireland and their emergency response to Covid-19 in the developing world.Casey, who is a long-time commentator and campaigner on international issues, spoke about the importance of public support for agencies like ActionAid who are fighting the pandemic in some of the world’s poorest countries.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “International aid and charity work is vital but never more so since Coronavirus began to take hold. The simple securities we rely on to survive this virus, things like washing our hands and social distancing, these are luxuries if not impossibilities for people in the developing world. It doesn’t bear thinking about,” he said.Casey, who played for Munster from 2013 to 2018 before finishing off his professional career with French club Grenoble in mid-2019, said he was thrilled but not surprised by a recent survey which showed Munster people to be the “most generous and informed” people in the country when it comes to overseas aid.“Research done earlier in the year by ActionAid and other Irish aid charities found that Munster people are ahead of the game when it comes to our generosity for overseas aid and development. It makes me very proud to hear this. I care deeply about our role within the global community and especially in times like this.“As the crisis has hit us here first, it’s a really uncertain time and while it’s natural to want to look inwards, it’s so important that we look beyond our own shores. A small donation from us can go a long way in these countries.“You can feel very helpless in these times, it’s hard to know what you can do make a real difference. That’s why I think it’s important to support credible charities with track-records like ActionAid who are capable of delivering the most effective crisis response programmes in the countries that need them,” he concluded.To support the work of ActionAid Ireland go to www.actionaid.ie or tel 01 8787911.
Baltimore Police Dept.(BALTIMORE) — A father and daughter who allegedly fabricated a story of a panhandler stabbing his wife to death when she gave them money were extradited to Baltimore early Thursday to face murder charges. Keith and Valeria Smith were brought back to Maryland by the Baltimore Police Department’s Warrant Apprehension Task Force after being caught in Texas earlier this month while attempting to make a run for the Mexican border, authorities said. The father and daughter arrived at the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport shortly after midnight and were immediately driven to the Central Booking Intake Facility in Baltimore, police said. Baltimore police released video and photos of the pair being taken off the plane on the tarmac, put into handcuffs and driven away. It was not immediately clear when they will appear in court. They are both charged with first-degree murder in the Dec. 1 stabbing death of Keith Smith’s wife, Jacquelyn Smith, 54. The supects initially claimed Jacquelyn Smith was stabbed by one of two panhandlers she spotted while driving through East Baltimore. In interviews with homicide detectives and at a news conference shortly after the killing, the pair claimed Jacquelyn Smith was stabbed when she asked her husband to pull over so she could give $10 to a female panhandler who appeared to be holding a baby. Keith Smith told ABC News shortly after the killing that both panhandlers approached their car and the male panhandler stabbed his wife and snatched her chain as he and the woman were thanking her for the money. He said the woman panhandler reached into the car, grabbed his wife’s purse and ran. But on March 3, Michael Harrison, acting commissioner of the Baltimore Police Department, said the story told by Keith and Valeria Smith “was not true.” Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh slammed the suspects for using issues of homelessness as a ruse in an alleged attempt to cover up the killing. “These individuals took advantage of a situation, a city that is already dealing with its own problems,” Pugh said earlier this month. “We’re looking forward to this cruel act being brought to justice.” The father and daughter were arrested that day in Harlingen, Texas, which is near the Mexican border. Police said they suspect the pair was attempting to cross the border and disappear. Since his arrest, Keith Smith’s criminal history has come under increased scrutiny. He pleaded guilty in 2001 to robbing the same bank in Timonium, Maryland, three times in nine months, according to reports obtained by ABC News from the Baltimore County Police Department.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
The year before that, though, he tallied 30 home runs and drove in 85 runs while stealing 15 bases.The Indians are not only in need of help at the plate, as they are middle of the pack in both runs scored and home runs, but their outfield is especially thin with Greg Allen, Tyler Naquin and Oscar Mercado getting a good amount of reps there.An addition of a player like Santana would be good for the team and it would give them a controllable piece moving forward, as well. MLB trade rumors: Indians ‘more likely than not’ to move Trevor Bauer MLB trade rumors: Indians, Rays interested in Blue Jays’ Justin Smoak MLB trade rumors: Astros have had ‘recent communication’ with Indians about Trevor Bauer The Indians have their eye on Mariners outfielder Domingo Santana.Cleveland had discussions with Seattle on Tuesday about the right-handed hitter, but no deal appears to be imminent, according to The Athletic. In addition to talks on Bauer, #Indians actively pursuing a bat. Had multiple conversations today with #Mariners about Domingo Santana, but no deal close. Also talking to #BlueJays about Justin Smoak, as @JonHeyman reported earlier.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 31, 2019Santana is having a nice bounce-back season with the Mariners as he is batting .273 with 20 home runs and 66 RBIs.He was traded to Seattle from Milwaukee in the offseason after he struggled to find his way into a loaded Brewers lineup last season. Related News Santana has two more years of team control left.Cleveland is not just limiting its scope to Santana, though. It has reportedly had contact with the Blue Jays about first baseman Justin Smoak and with the Tigers about Nicholas Castellanos in recent days.
That’s one way to see how bad this could get.MORE: SN’s college basketball All-Decade teamAnthony’s offensive rating ranked fifth in the country among high-usage players. Only 16 Division I players out of more than 4,000 used more possessions than he did through his first nine games as a collegian. He led the Tar Heels in minutes at 33 per game, has attempted 67 more shots than his next-busiest teammate — even while playing one fewer game — and still accounted for 13 more assists than any other North Carolina player.This season just became one of the most daunting of Roy Williams’ Hall of Fame career.”Obviously not having a player of Cole’s caliber will be a tremendous challenge to our young team, but we have to play,” Williams said in the school’s release. “No one player is going to replace the production Cole Anthony gives us, so it’s up to everyone who puts on a North Carolina jersey to raise his game and help our team play better.”Without Anthony, junior K.J. Smith will inherit much of the point guard responsibility. After playing little in the first nine games, he went 26 minutes against Wofford and delivered four assists while committing two turnovers. He is the son of former North Carolina All-American Kenny Smith. Anthony has considerable ballhandling help from wing Brandon Robins, who is averaging 3.2 assists, including five in the game against Wofford that Anthony missed. He went 33 minutes, scored 16 points and grabbed six rebounds in that loss.Even with Anthony, who is considered a likely top pick in the 2020 NBA Draft, the Tar Heels had trouble generating sufficient offense to be dangerous against many of their best opponents. They scored 49 points against Ohio State and 47 against UVa, although they earlier had been successful in games against Notre Dame and Oregon, now the No. 8 team in the AP poll. It’s four losses in a row now for the North Carolina Tar Heels: Ohio State, followed by Virginia, then Wofford and now, perhaps worst of all, star freshman point guard Cole Anthony will be lost for four to six weeks following knee surgery.The Tar Heels could survive each of the first three defeats. Ohio State holds the No. 1 rating at KenPom.com, so falling to the Buckeyes was no shame. Virginia is the reigning NCAA champion and has the nation’s highest-rated defense by a significant margin. The Wofford game was at home, and this is not the same team that dominated the Southern Conference and advanced in the 2019 NCAA Tournament, but the Heels were playing that game without Anthony. The Heels have a busy week with a trip Wednesday to Gonzaga followed by a visit to Las Vegas to face UCLA in Saturday afternoon’s CBS Sports Classic.The good news is their early ACC schedule is not overwhelming. Their next six league opponents, starting Jan. 4 against Georgia Tech, have an average KenPom rating of 82. This does not mean the games should be easy, but it’s not the same as dealing with Duke (No. 2), Louisville (No. 3) and Florida State (No. 16).If the Heels can find a way to perform respectably between now and Anthony’s possible return — the outer boundary of the projected recovery time is around the date when the Heels travel to rival NC State — they could keep alive an NCAA Tournament campaign.