View post tag: Naval View post tag: News by topic Share this article View post tag: americas View post tag: USS Porter US Naval Station Norfolk hosted a change of command ceremony for guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) July 11. View post tag: US Navy New Commander at USS Porter View post tag: Commander View post tag: Defence View post tag: Navy View post tag: Change of Command Authorities July 14, 2014 Back to overview,Home naval-today New Commander at USS Porter Cmdr. Blair Guy relieved Cmdr. Dave Richardson as commanding officer. Capt.A 1995 Naval Academy graduate, Richardson served as Porter’s 10th commanding officer for nearly two years. Assuming command while the ship was deployed in the 5th Fleet Area of Responsibility, his tour was highlighted by the successful completion of a yearlong maintenance availability in the dry dock. During this shipyard period, the Arleigh Burke class destroyer received significant repairs and upgrades, including the ballistic missile defense installation.Crew accomplishments under Richardson’s command included two consecutive awards of the “Green H” for health and wellness, the 2014 Hampton Roads Volunteer Achievement Award, and the Meritorious Unit Commendation.Richardson will next serve as a permanent military professor in the Political Science Department at the Naval Academy.Previously Porter’s executive officer, Guy enlisted in the Navy in 1991 as a nuclear machinists mate and was subsequently selected for the nuclear enlisted commissioning program. A graduate of Auburn University, his previous tours at sea include service on board USS Mobile Bay (CG 53), USS Ramage (DDG 61), USS George Washington (CVN 73) and USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77). Ashore, Guy served in the strategy and policy branch of U.S. Naval Forces Europe and as Joint Experimentation Branch Chief at U.S. European Command.Porter is on track to shift homeports next year to Rota, joining the BMD destroyers USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) and USS Ross (DDG 71).[mappress]Press Release, July 14, 2014; Image: Wikimedia View post tag: New
The String Cheese Incident has made a big announcement today, revealing plans that will round out their 2016. The band will once again play New Year’s Eve at the 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, CO, but there’s a twist: no fall or winter shows until the three-night year ending run.It seems that SCI is going to focus the rest of 2016 on creating new music. As Michael Kang recently told us, “we just felt like it was necessary for us, creatively, to keep putting stuff out.” The band recently released a three-track album called SCI Sound Lab Vol 1, capturing songs new and old recorded at the band’s first-ever studio that they can call their own. “It’s kind of a laboratory for us,” said Kang in the recent L4LM interview.Though the band has a number of shows scheduled for the summer, they will not tour throughout the fall or winter seasons. Thus, the three nights from December 29-31 will serve as the only shows after this summer tour is finished. Fortunately, the summer tour just began last weekend at Electric Forest, and will continue throughout August. Of course, the band will be performing as scheduled at Hulaween.Tickets for the NYE shows will be released on August 10th via SCI Ticketing at 10am MDT, followed by a public on sale on Friday, August 12th.
The Belgium international landed on Merseyside for a flying visit from his homeland on Wednesday to finalise a five-year contract after a £28million deal – believed to be a £25million fee with subsequent add-ons – was agreed with Chelsea. Everton’s previous record was the £15million paid to Standard Liege in 2006 for midfielder Marouane Fellaini, who moved on to Manchester United last summer for £28million. Martinez stressed, however, the player will not carry that burden into the dressing room. “Rom is vitally important but his transfer fee will not count for anything in terms of him developing and having an important role in the side,” said the Spaniard. “This dressing room has got a special feeling and it is not about how much you pay for players to come in, it is about selecting the players to be in there. “We really needed Rom at the club and that is where the chairman (Bill Kenwright) and the board have been exceptional, and I do think it is a key moment at our club. “I am looking at that number nine position – and I am probably biased – but he is potentially the best choice in world football. “In years to come you will see him develop into someone special, but nothing changes for Rom. “He needs to enjoy his football, have the same standards he had and I am excited to see how far Rom can take us and how far we can take Rom. “That is the partnership we can see here. Press Association Everton may have smashed their transfer record to sign striker Romelu Lukaku but manager Roberto Martinez insists the fee is irrelevant if the player fulfils his potential. “It is true this moment in Rom’s career is very significant because he is very ambitious, he wants to be successful and win things and wants to develop to the top of his potential. “That is what we want to be as a team, so it is a perfect fit.” Lukaku said he is comfortable with the transfer fee and intends to provide the goals, having scored 16 in 33 appearances on loan at Goodison Park last season, to help fire the club into the Champions League. Asked how long it could be until the Toffees were playing alongside Europe’s elite, the Belgian said: “If we continue to develop like we did last season very soon. “I wanted to stay in the Premier League because it is the most attractive league in the world and also the best. “For me it was easy to stay here and help the team reach that level. “I think the club wants to make a statement and I want to help the club to make a statement in this league. “I don’t put myself under pressure and just want to help my team-mates make this team as good as possible.” Martinez is still keen to add more signings, having already secured another loan player Gareth Barry on a permanent deal and also brought in £4million midfielder Muhamed Besic. However, he may now have to rely on loan signings – the Toffees have been linked with a temporary deal for Chelsea’s Christian Atsu – having used most of his transfer budget to secure Lukaku. “I said before we signed Rom we need three attacking players and that has not changed,” said the Everton boss. “I always said money shouldn’t be the difference between being able to challenge or not. “It excites me when I see the side we have. Maybe some have the excuse of having to have a certain amount of money to challenge for titles, but I don’t look at it that way.”