Sharing is caring! Share An easing in United States post-September 11 terrorism restrictions is allowing LIAT to expand one of its business lines.ST. JOHN’S, Antigua, Thursday December 22, 2011 – For the first time since the terrorist attacks in the United States in 2001, LIAT is able to move cargo into the United States territories within its network.“We were waiting for this for a long time and we have worked many hours to make sure that the service to our clients will be second to none,” said LIAT’s Country Manager in San Juan Sadie Boneta-Rittenhouse.This development has now allowed LIAT to now expand its service offerings in time for the lucrative holiday season.The airline launched its inaugural dedicated all-cargo freighter service into San Juan, Puerto Rico last week in what has been described as a “significant milestone” in its 56-year history.“Apart from the Christmas special we expect brisk business throughout the year as our rates are significantly cheaper than our competitors and more than 50 per cent cheaper at some break points. We invite the business community to make use of our service to ship car parts, food stuff, clothing, and even moderately sized building materials, said director of Cargo and Quikpak Wilbur Edwards.Edwards said that LIAT prepared meticulously for the service; and in addition to meeting all of the government’s requirements, had forged strategic relationships with several local companies who handle cargo, sales, and pick-up and delivery. LIAT launched its dedicated freighter service in February 2011. The company’s dedicated freighter aircraft has a capacity of 7,500 pounds.LIAT, the Caribbean’s main intra-regional carrier, is owned by regional shareholders, with major shareholders being the Governments of Barbados, Antigua & Barbuda and St. Vincent & the Grenadines. Caribbean 360 News Share Share 25 Views no discussions Tweet LifestyleTravel Removal of US restrictions benefiting LIAT by: – December 23, 2011
The Columbia River Crossing appears close to a mitigation agreement with two of the three major riverfront manufacturers negatively affected by the project, after Greenberry Industrial announced Monday that it was nearing a deal.The company’s statement follows a similar confirmation by Oregon Iron Works last week. But the CRC so far hasn’t found the same progress with the third business, Vancouver-based Thompson Metal Fab.“We haven’t reached any settlement with them,” Thompson spokesman Tom Hunt said Monday.CRC officials expect to use millions of taxpayer dollars to compensate the three manufacturers who say they’d be squeezed by the $3.4 billion Interstate 5 Bridge replacement, which would reduce the maximum clearance under the freeway. Project and state leaders have spent recent months negotiating with each company to determine just how much they’ll pay as mitigation.Greenberry’s statement indicates those talks are approaching a resolution on two of three fronts.“Greenberry Industrial is close to reaching a mitigation agreement with Oregon and Washington on the impact a restricted-height Interstate 5 bridge would have on our company’s operations,” Greenberry’s statement said. “We are encouraged by the progress of recent negotiations and are optimistic about reaching an agreement that will enable Greenberry to maintain its proven business model and will protect critical manufacturing jobs for our employees in both states.”Through a spokesman, the company declined further comment. It’s unclear how much the CRC would pay Greenberry under the agreement, or whether Greenberry would move any part of its existing operation downstream of a new I-5 bridge.