nvnornvd

Iran executed wrestling champion Afkari

first_img Loading… “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Navid Afkari.” United World Wrestling, which had not previously commented publicly on the case, said Afkari’s execution was “devastating”. read also:IOC initiates International Safeguarding Officer in Sport Certificate “The entire wrestling community mourns his death,” UWW added. Bach said last week he was “extremely concerned” by Afkari’s case and claimed the National Olympic Committee (NOC) of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the country’s wrestling federation were “doing their utmost to facilitate a solution”. Trump also made a plea for Iran not to execute Afkari. “To the leaders of Iran, I would greatly appreciate if you would spare this young man’s life, and not execute him,” Trump tweeted last week. Dozens of athletes and officials from several sports spoke out in support of Afkari following the death sentencing, which attracted widespread criticism from across the world. Afkari’s televised confession, which his supporters alleged was coerced, was broadcast by Iran last week. Critics have said it resembled hundreds of other suspected coerced confessions in the country in recent years. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Iranian wrestling champion, Navid Afkari, has been executed for the alleged murder of a security guard during anti-Government protests in 2018, according to state media. “The retaliation sentence against Navid Afkari, the killer of Hassan Turkman, was carried out this morning in Adelabad prison in Shiraz,” Iranian state television quoted the chief justice of Fars province, Kazem Mousavi, as saying. Afkari, whose case had attracted global attention and led to the likes of United States President Donald Trump pleading for clemency, had claimed he was tortured into making a false confession. The 27-year-old had been given two death sentences for stabbing a security guard and his involvement in demonstrations against the country’s regime in 2018. Human rights groups and activists believe he had been unjustly targeted by the Iranian authorities to intimidate others who might choose to participate in peaceful protests. His death is likely to lead to calls for Iran to face sanctions from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and other sports organisations. The IOC claimed its President Thomas Bach had “made direct personal appeals to the Supreme Leader and to the President of Iran this week and asked for mercy for Navid Afkari, while respecting the sovereignty of the Islamic Republic of Iran”. “The execution of wrestler Navid Afkari in Iran is very sad news,” the IOC said in a statement. “The IOC is shocked by this announcement today. “It is deeply upsetting that the pleas of athletes from around the world and all the behind-the-scenes work of the IOC, together with the NOC of Iran, United World Wrestling and the National Iranian Wrestling Federation, did not achieve our goal.center_img Promoted ContentCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black HolesWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Reasons It’s Better To Be A VeganInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Themlast_img read more

phjryfxu

U.S. House Passes Bill to Designate Pulse Site as National Memorial

first_imgThe site of a deadly rampage in Orlando could soon take on a whole new meaning.This month marked four years since 49 people were killed and another 50 injured, after a man walked into Pulse Nightclub and began shooting.On Friday, the U.S. House unanimously passed a bill that would designate the property as a national memorial.Rep. Stephanie Murphy spoke on the House floor in support of the bill that she spearheaded, along with Reps. Darren Soto and Val Demings.Today, the House of Representatives passed a bill to recognize Pulse nightclub as a National Memorial Site, reminding the world that #WeWillNotLetHateWin. A very special thank you to Representatives @RepDarrenSoto, @RepValDemings, and @RepStephMurphy for introducing the bill. pic.twitter.com/u0FzHuSIuF— Pulse Orlando (@pulseorlando) June 26, 2020 “We owe it to the families and loved ones of the victims to honor their memories by dedicating a national memorial at Pulse. I’m proud to be co-leading this effort to create a place of healing for survivors and a welcoming place for all those seeking inspiration to create a better, safer, and more inclusive nation,” Murphy said.She added, “By taking this important step, we are telling the world that we will fight to ensure no community will ever go through something like this again.”The bill allows the site to become a part of the National Park System, although the OnePulse Foundation would retain control of its construction.There is currently no Senate companion bill.last_img read more

ktlerbzp

Red Wings extend coach Jeff Blashill’s contract for 2 more seasons

first_imgRed Wings management still has faith in Jeff Blashill even as the team’s playoff drought continues. Detroit on Tuesday made official a previously reported two-year contract extension for its coach, even as the team is set to miss the playoffs for the third time in his four years at the helm.  Blashill, a Detroit native, replaced Mike Babcock in June of 2015 amid high expectations. He was regarded as one of the game’s top young coaching minds after a successful three-year stint with the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins. The Red Wings made the playoffs in his first season, falling to the Lightning in the opening round, but missed out the last two years and are set to do so again as this season wraps up. The three-year playoff drought — after Detroit had made the playoffs 25 consecutive seasons — will be the franchise’s longest since it missed out five straight years from 1979-83. Detroit is 135-143-47 under Blashill entering Tuesday’s game against the Penguins. Related News Lightning reach rare milestone with win over Senators UPDATE: Detroit #RedWings EVP & GM Ken Holland today announced that Jeff Blashill has agreed to a two-year contract extension to remain head coach of the Red Wings.Details: https://t.co/LGHiEp9ftR pic.twitter.com/B68XBMwkkt— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) April 2, 2019″Jeff has done a tremendous job developing our young talent as we continue to rebuild our organization,” Red Wings executive vice president and general manager Ken Holland said in a release. “Our young players have made significant strides during his time as head coach and are playing important minutes in key situations.”As we continue to build towards the future, we have the utmost confidence that Jeff is the coach best suited to help our prospects become impactful NHL players. He has gained valuable experience as an NHL coach in each of his four years in Detroit and has instilled a work ethic in our current team that makes us hard to play against every night and competitive in every game, which is the identity we want our team to have as we move forward.”last_img read more

ojwydrni

DeAndre Baker’s alibi is … ‘Madden’? Lawyer says Giants CB was busy playing video game

first_imgMORE: Bills’ Ed Oliver arrested, charged with DWI, unlawfully carrying gun”Far from an individual who’s going somewhere with an alleged intent to rob somebody, an armed robbery, to go there and hook up his ‘Madden’ game, play the game for over an hour and then leave it there and go home,” Patel told the Post.To hear Patel tell it, Baker “bounced” as soon as he heard a disturbance in another room of the house where the party was taking place May 13. He didn’t even bother to take his “Madden” gear with him, Patel added.”He doesn’t have anything to do with the ruckus. He didn’t even see it. The only thing he sees is out of the corner of his eye a table getting flipped over and everybody running, screaming and yelling. And he’s out,” Patel told the Post.Patel also told the Post that he is working to back up his claim by gathering electronic evidence that Baker was logged on and playing “Madden” the night of the robbery.Baker and Seahawks defensive back Quinton Dunbar surrendered to police in Broward County, Fla., last week after arrest warrants were issued. Baker and Dunbar each were charged with four counts of armed robbery with a firearm. Baker was also charged with four counts of aggravated assault. The men are accused of stealing thousands of dollars in cash and watches from partygoers. Witnesses gave sworn statements to police identifying Dunbar and Baker as perpetrators along with a third man, but the players’ attorneys are vigorously challenging the veracity of those statements.Baker was released from the county jail on Sunday after posting a $200,000 bond. Another of his attorneys, Bradford Cohen, submitted a written plea of not guilty Monday. Baker could be sentenced to 15 years on each of the armed robbery counts if convicted, the Post noted. DeAndre Baker did attend a party that was marred by an alleged armed robbery police say Baker helped to perpetrate last week, but one of Baker’s attorneys, in denying the allegations, put forth a novel alibi claim: video games, specifically “Madden.”Patrick Patel told the New York Post on Tuesday the Giants cornerback came to the party armed only with a game console, controllers and a charger, and not his gun, for which he has a permit.last_img read more