Just as people expect fast experiences in all aspects of daily life—from finding the quickest way to order dinner, the shortest line at the checkout counter, or the fastest way to deliver a gift—they also expect fast, easy and secure transactions to pay for those experiences. Tapping to pay with a contactless card or device has proven to meet these consumer expectations in today’s age of convenience, helping consumers breeze through checkout with a single tap.Last year at Visa Payments Forum, Visa’s annual conference for customers and partners, a major discussion was the expansion of tap to pay in the United States. As this year’s event begins in Chicago, Visa is excited to share that tapping to pay is becoming a reality across the U.S. and continues to gain momentum globally. Here’s a look at the trends:Globally, adoption continues to see strong growth with nearly half of all face-to-face Visa transactions occurring with a tap outside the U.S. In the last year, nearly 50 countries have seen a 10 point or greater increase in tap to pay penetration of all domestic face-to-face transactions. This includes: continue reading » 2SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Batesville City Council held its regular monthly meeting at the Memorial Building on Monday. City officials discussed a variety of topics including a recycling center, a summer concert, and the proposed shell building.During the Board of Works meeting, a presentation was held by Aaron Bell, executive director of the Southeastern Indiana Recycling District (SEIRD).Bell introduced a proposed recycling center that would be located near the Batesville Street Department Building. If the center is approved, the curbside recycling program will continue as SEIRD would be responsible for hazardous household waste and other items that are generally taken to recycling centers in Brookville and Osgood.Bell said the recycling center would be a benefit for folks that live both in the city limits and outside of Batesville.Mayor Rick Fledderman said of the proposal, “I have been working for several years to get a recycling center closer to Batesville. To find a location that is a good mix with surrounding areas while keeping the goal of a recycling center.”City officials would like to fund the recycling center through grants and possibly Belterra riverboat revenue-sharing funds.The building would be owned by the city while SEIRD would cover maintenance and daily operations, including an employee onsite during business hours.Bell added that the recycling center would not be a place to dispose trash. City council members are considering the proposed recycling center.Late summer concert in Batesville:Rural Alliance for the Arts (RAA) members will gather more information regarding the concert which will feature country artist John Michael Montgomery at the Batesville Ballplex on September 13.RAA Vice President Regina Siefert requested $15,000 of Belterra funding for the concert Monday evening. Council did not approve the funding as they would like to receive budget information and security plans before making a decision.Spring carnival:The Batesville Kiwanis received permission to block off a section of downtown for the annual spring carnival. The popular event among area schoolchildren will be held Tuesday, May 8 through Saturday, May 10.A new carnival company will provide the entertainment with an estimated six to eight rides.
Press Association Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta believes the return of Sergio Aguero, Vincent Kompany and Edin Dzeko will give them a significant boost in what is an important month. Kompany, also out for a month, was also back in the squad as an unused substitute and while Dzeko did not make the bench he is not far away from a comeback. Aguero and Kompany are in contention to start at home to Arsenal next weekend and Zabaleta thinks the return of key players – especially with Yaya Toure at the African Nations Cup – is timely even though City have won 11 and drawn three of their last 14 matches. “They are really important players for the team,” said Zabaleta. “We need all the best players 100 per cent fit because this is a crucial moment for the team. “There are a lot of games coming up, with the Champions League as well. “Hopefully they can stay 100 per cent fit for the next games and we are looking forward to it.” Despite losing ground on Chelsea, the defender said what Jose Mourinho’s side did was not an issue for them. However, he admitted they had to still be in touch when the pair meet this month. “We know the race for the title is going to be very tough,” Zabaleta added. “Chelsea are in great form as well but every single game in the league is a final. “When you play away from home you don’t have any easy games and teams can drop points like we did today. “We stay positive. We have Arsenal next weekend and we have to go there and win that before we think about the Chelsea game. “We need to stay focused on what we are doing. We are playing well and that is what we need to win games. “It doesn’t matter what Chelsea are doing at the moment. We are 100 per cent focused on what we are doing. “There is a big game next week because then we have the FA Cup before the Chelsea game so it will be crucial to win at home to Arsenal because we have to go to Stamford Bridge with a big chance to win that game.” City struggled to break down a resilient Everton and despite creating a number of good first-half chances it was not until the 74th minute they found the breakthrough. It began with Zabaleta, who dispossessed Romelu Lukaku on the edge of the City penalty area which launched a counter-attack from which Fernandinho headed in David Silva’s deflected cross. However, the lead lasted just four minutes as Steven Naismith glanced home Leighton Baines’ free-kick for a deserved point. “Everton away is a very tough place to go but I think overall it was a great game, we created chances especially in the first half when we missed a few of them,” said Zabaleta. “It was a shame to concede the goal because we were very close to three points but when you cannot win it is important to get a point.” A 1-1 draw at Everton saw Chelsea move two points ahead at the top of the Barclays Premier League and with a trip to Stamford Bridge to come at the end of January they cannot afford any more slip-ups. However, amid the disappointment at Goodison Park the sight of top scorer Aguero coming off the bench for his first appearance since early December was a welcome one.
In other developments related to the COVID-19 pandemic:— A shortened baseball season would result in some temporary rules changes. Extra innings that start with runners on second base, games ending in ties and re-entry are among the possibilities. And the season may be limited to a maximum 60 games by teams that claim they can’t afford more due to the coronavirus pandemic. MLB included the controversial extra-inning runner rule in its proposal Wednesday for a 60-game season, down from an initial 82, and also wants it for 2021. The players’ association accepted the rule Thursday for 2020 only in its counterproposal for 70 games, down from an initial 114.— Five-time PGA Tour winner Nick Watney tested positive Friday for the coronavirus, the first player with a confirmed infection since golf resumed its schedule last week. Watney withdrew immediately from the RBC Heritage and must self-isolate for at least 10 days under the PGA Tour’s protocols. Watney played the opening round with Vaughn Taylor and Luke List. As part of the contact tracing plan, Taylor, List and their caddies were to be tested immediately.— Clemson says 23 football players have tested positive for the coronavirus since the athletes returned to campus this month. There have been 28 positive tests for COVID-19 at the school, including two football staffers and three athletes from other sports. None of those contracting the virus have been hospitalized. Those testing positive are isolated for at least 10 days. The uptick at Clemson is similar to one in the state of South Carolina, which reported a single-day high of 1,081 cases on Friday. — An unidentified San Francisco 49ers player has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 after an informal workout with teammates in Tennessee. The NFL Network reported that one player who took part in the workouts this week in Nashville has tested positive. All the players who were there will now get tested to see if there is any spread. The team declined to comment, citing federal and state privacy laws about the personal health of employees. UNDATED (AP) — Every team in Major League Baseball will shut its spring training camp over concerns about the coronavirus pandemic, according to a person familiar with the decision. The move follows an announcement by the Philadelphia Phillies that five players had tested positive for COVID-19.The person told The Associated Press the spring complexes in Florida and Arizona will close temporarily and undergo a deep cleaning and disinfecting. No one will be permitted back inside without a negative test for the virus.Soon after the Phillies became the first known team to be affected by the outbreak, Toronto shuttered its site in Dunedin, Florida, about five miles from Philadelphia’s camp in Clearwater. The Blue Jays said one player showed symptoms consistent with the virus.The San Francisco Giants’ facility in Scottsdale, Arizona, was shut after one person who had been to the site and one family member exhibited symptoms Thursday. Texas closed its camp about 30 miles away in Surprise, saying no one had tested positive but that it wanted to expand testing protocols.The closures come while MLB owners and players try to negotiate a deal to begin the season, and raise the possibility the virus outbreak could scuttle all attempts at starting up this year. — French soccer authorities will allow fans back into stadiums starting July 10, with an initial limit of 5,000. The president of the French Football Federation says it is possible more spectators will be allowed into the French Cup final at the end of July and for the resumption of top-tier Ligue 1 play at the end of August. The French government called off the country’s 2019-20 soccer season on April 28 as part of efforts to contain the coronavirus pandemic.— A team of teenagers took the field for a club hit by the coronavirus pandemic and lost 10-1 as soccer in Russia restarted Friday. FC Rostov was forced to send a squad with an average age of barely 17 to play against Sochi, two days after its entire first team was put into isolation over a suspected virus outbreak among six players. Sochi refused to postpone the game, leaving Rostov a choice between fielding academy graduates or accepting defeat by default. Rostov’s 17-year-old goalkeeper Denis Popov won widespread praise and was named man of the match. Despite conceding a record number of goals, he stopped a penalty and also set a new league record for most saves in a game with 15. June 20, 2020 — The NASCAR Cup race at Texas will have thousands of spectators in the stands. Texas Governor Greg Abbott has approved a comprehensive action plan submitted by the track to allow fans for the July 19 race. While the state allows 50% capacity for outdoor sporting events, track president Eddie Gossage says it’s too early to know how many fans will be able to attend. With social distancing protocols in place, the speedway first must reassign seating for people who had already purchased tickets for the race that was originally scheduled for March 29. The track capacity is about 135,000.— The Tampa Bay Lightning closed their facilities Thursday after five team employees tested positive for the coronavirus, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The person tells The Associated Press the team and the NHL haven’t announced the closure. The NHL is also no longer announcing which teams’ individual players tested positive. The developments come some two weeks after players could return to their respective facilities to take part in voluntary on- and off-ice workouts.— Canada has approved a National Hockey League plan to play in Canada amid the coronavirus pandemic. The plan required an exemption as the U.S.-Canada border is currently closed to all non-essential travel until at least July 21 and those who enter Canada must self-isolate for 14 days. The league plans to have training camps open in July and to play games without spectators in a couple of cities in late July or August. Canadian health officials’ approval of the NHL’s return-to-play proposal has led the league to consider designating one or more cities north of the border to serve as hubs for its 24-team playoff format.— A person with knowledge of the decision tells The Associated Press that Albert Pujols (POO’-hohlz) will pay the salaries of the Los Angeles Angels’ furloughed employees in his native Dominican Republic for five months. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because Pujols didn’t publicly announce his commitment to pay roughly $180,000 to cover the salaries. The strict budget cuts made by Angels’ owner Arte Moreno during the coronavirus pandemic have included extensive furloughs for scouts, player development staff and minor league employees.— The Chinese basketball league has restarted after an almost five-month shutdown for the coronavirus pandemic but is going ahead in empty stadiums and with fewer foreign players. The CBA was suspended on Jan. 24 after the virus outbreak in Wuhan. The semifinals stage has started with 20 teams divided into two divisions and limited venues to reduce travel. All stadiums are closed to fans. League chairman and former NBA star Yao Ming praised the work of the clubs and health authorities for helping get the season restarted. He says as the first national large-scale sports event to be restarted in China the CBA is of “strategic significance.” Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditHORSE RACING-BELMONTBelmont kicking off Triple Crown seriesELMONT, N.Y. (AP) — Tiz the Law is the star of a 10-horse field for the Belmont Stakes, perhaps the biggest event in U.S. sports since the coronavirus pandemic shut down competition in mid-March. The 3-year-old colt is the early 6-5 favorite for Saturday’s race. Update on the latest sports No fans or owners will be at the New York track for the $1 million race that is being run at a shorter distance this year. This Belmont — rescheduled from June 6 — will be run at 1 1/8 miles, the first time since 1925 it won’t be its usual grueling 1 1/2 miles. The top four finishers earn Kentucky Derby qualifying points, including 150 to the winner.Tiz the Law is the only horse in the race with Grade 1 stakes victories. He’ll try to buck history as the first New York-bred in 138 years to win the $1 million race. His 82-year-old trainer, Barclay Tagg, is chasing a win that eluded him in 2003 after Funny Cide won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness only to lose his Triple Crown bid in the Belmont.The Belmont is kicking off the Triple Crown series for the first time, instead of completing the series of three races run over five weeks. The Kentucky Derby follows on Sept. 5, with the Preakness finishing up on Oct. 3.VIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSAP source: MLB spring training sites close amid virus worry Associated Press