1 detained as manhunt leads to Linden

first_imgPrison escapees… recaptured prisoner was using public transportationThe police have, on Thursday, arrested one person in Linden in connection with providing sanctuary for one of the escapees of the Camp Street Prison.However, while this is a breakthrough in efforts to recapture all the fugitives who are on the loose, it has emerged that recaptured prisoner Desmond James was using public transportation before his re-arrest.During a media briefing at the Public Security Ministry on Friday, Police Commissioner Seelall Persaud revealed that James, now back in lawful custody, has told the police details about his escape.Debunking reports that James had been assisted by a female to escape, the Police Commissioner said: “We have a story from James. Another escapee would have given him money, which he used to take public transportation to go to that location.”James was re-captured on Friday, July 14 by ranks of the “D” Division at Canal #1 West Bank Demerara. Based on information received, the murder accused was found hiding in a shack.“D” Division Commander Leslie James had said the captured fugitive, who was armed with a knife and sporting some clothing, had “indicated that he was heading to Essequibo.”According to a neighbour, the man was seen camping out at the location– said to be located on Government Reserve in Cameron Dam — since the previous day. The police were contacted, and during a sweep of the area, the 24-year-old escapee was arrested.ManhuntExpressing confidence in the police manhunt for the fugitives, Persaud related that the public has thus far been helpful, and that every reported sighting has been evaluated by the police on its own merit.He and Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan have appealed for anyone with information to relay same to the police.“The manhunt is an intelligence-led operation,” Persaud said. “Yesterday we had some information which led us to Linden. A person was arrested who was not one of the escapees. And then we had a confrontation with Stafrie Alexander at Port Mourant. Other activities are still on-going,” the commissioner has said.Commissioner Persaud was unable to confirm that Alexander was wounded in the encounter with police at Port Mourant, but he noted that police reported discharging rounds and seeing blood afterwards. “He’s alone!” the top cop emphasized. “They’re all alone, meaning they are separate from each other.”Just days after James’s capture, murder accused Cornelius Thomas was on Monday recaptured while hiding out in “C” Field Sophia, Greater Georgetown.His arrest was initiated by information relayed to members of the Guyana Police Force, who swooped down on an area in the community and effected the arrest.Now that two of the six wanted men have been recaptured, the hunt continues for the alleged mastermind of the prison breakout: Mark Royden Durant, called “Royden Williams” and “Smallie”, along with ex-cop Uree Varswyck, Stafrei Hopkinson Alexander, and Cobena Stephens.last_img read more


WBD man kills lover, slits throat in suicide bid

first_imgThe West Bank Demerara (WBD) village of Good Intent was plunged into a state of shock on Wednesday morning when it woke to news that a resident allegedly murdered his lover before attempting suicide by slitting his throat.Dead is Diane Hernandez, a 48-year-old housewife of Recht-Door-Zee, WBD. She reportedly shared a visiting relationship with the suspect, Nigel Glasgow, 40, ofDead: Diane HernandezMurphy Street, Good Intent Squatting Area.Guyana Times understands that the duo arrived at Glasgow’s house late Tuesday night, but just about 02:30h on Wednesday morning, screams and shouts were heard emanating from the house.According to information received from Police sources, the gruesome discovery was made by two relatives of the mother of Glasgow’s children, who is a pump attendant. This newspaper was told that the pump attendant reportedly received a phone call from the suspect, requesting that she took care of their children.Realising that something was amiss, the attendant contacted her relatives and instructed them to go to the house.Upon arriving at Glasgow’s residence, the relatives had to break in to the locked house where they reportedly found the couple lying on a bed. Hernandez’s body was on the bed, but her head was propped up with what appeared to be a cable wrapped around her neck while her hands were bound. The alleged suspect, on the other hand, was lying alongside her, bleeding from his throat.In the wee hours of the morning when screams had erupted, the man’s two dogsPolice detectives at the scene Wednesday morningstarted to bark and in an attempt to silence them, the animals were allegedly killed by the suspect.During this commotion, the neighbours were awakened and as such, Glasgow reportedly attempted to burn down their house. “He eyes pass me, why he didn’t burn the one he got… what me do he mek he wan burn me house?” the owner of the house, Nigam Blackman, questioned at the scene.The elderly woman told this publication that she was never close to the alleged suspect and only shared pleasantries with him occasionally.“We never had any problems… I don’t know why he wan burn me house,” the woman related. According to Blackman, she was sleeping and unaware of what transpired until her granddaughter, Simone Farley, informed her.However, the granddaughter, whose apartment was scorched, recalled smelling gasoline before seeing the fire.“When I heard the commotion, I though is me uncle get up to bathe but after I lie down and smelling this gasoline, I say no, man, something wrong. So when I decide to get up and pull the bedroom blind, there is the big fire at the side of the chair (in the house),” Farley related.According to the woman, a few ornaments were destroyed and a corner of her apartment was scorched. However, she managed to put out the fire before it caused any major damage. She went on to point out to Guyana Times two bottles containing a suspected flammable substance which the suspect allegedly used to start the fire.Farley further related to this newspaper that while she and Glasgow stopped speaking to each other about four months ago, she was clueless as to why he would want to destroy her house.“He was a quiet person; he does always deh easy and cool… I don’t know what happened; I don’t know if he woman give he problem or what, I cannot say. But like the devil went in he and make he do such thing,” Farley posited.According to the neighbours, after killing the dogs and starting a fire at their house, Glasgow reportedly padlocked his front door from the outside and gained entry into his house through a window, which he then secured once on the inside.The two persons who made the discovery had to break the window to get into the house. The Police were then summoned to the scene and some time after they were seen removing the alleged suspect and rushing him to the West Demerara Regional Hospital.Up to press time, Glasgow, a former cane harvester, remained a patient at the medical institution under guard.last_img read more