Marseille have agreed a deal to sign Holland defender Karim Rekik from Manchester City subject to a medical, the Ligue 1 club have announced. No terms of the deal were disclosed. Rekik, a left-sided defender, made his Holland debut in March last year against France, but it remains his only cap to date. Rekik, 20, has made only three appearances for City but earned international recognition during two seasons on loan with PSV Eindhoven, where he also won an Eredivisie title in the season just finished. He previously had stints on loan with Blackburn and Portsmouth. “Olympique de Marseille and Manchester City have reached an agreement in principle for the permanent transfer of Dutch international Karim Rekik on Tuesday evening subject to passing the medical examination,” said a statement on Marseille’s website. Press Association
The Chilean was entering the final year of his previous deal but has now agreed an extension to 2017 in a move that could quell speculation linking Bayern Munich’s Pep Guardiola with his position. Guardiola, out of contract next summer, is long thought to have been a target for City having previously worked under the club’s chief executive Ferran Soriano and director of football Txiki Begiristain at Barcelona. Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini admits he now has to deliver titles after signing a new-two year contract at the Etihad Stadium. Pellegrini, 61, won the Barclays Premier League in his first season at City in 2013 but, after last year’s disappointing campaign, he accepts improvement is necessary. Pellegrini said: “It is very important for the club to trust in our work. I am very happy here at Manchester City so if both parties are happy we can continue. The support the club gives me is important. “But you know in this profession you need results, so it is very important for me to have a good season and get good results. “For me a good season with a big team is that you must win a title (trophy). You cannot say it is a very good season if you win nothing.” Speculation over Pellegrini’s future was rife towards the end of last season as it became apparent the club would not catch Chelsea in the Premier League and they went out of the Champions League. It eased as City ended with six successive wins but could return if the team again perform below par. Pellegrini accepts this but insists it will not bother him. He said: “I was used last season to the speculation. I’m not talking about Pep Guardiola. He is a manager that every team will want to manage them because he is a great manager. “Maybe he is linked with this team more because of the relationship with Txiki and Ferran but I trust in them and I am sure if they want to bring in him, they will tell me. “I have no problem with my relations inside the club. I know exactly how the owners think. Maybe it is better for the outside media.” Soriano believes the new contract will allow Pellegrini to concentrate on business on the field. He said: “This agreement allows Manuel to focus on the challenge of guiding a team capable of both fighting for domestic titles and competing for European honours.” City’s main business during the summer has been the signing of England’s Raheem Sterling in a club record £49million deal from Liverpool. Sterling’s conduct towards the end of his time at Anfield attracted much negative criticism but Pellegrini expects the 20-year-old forward to settle quickly and provide plenty of excitement. Asked how good Sterling can be, Pellegrini said: “Very, very good. I trust a lot in him. “Maybe some of the media are talking about the price we paid for him, but an English player at 20 with such quality, speed and good technical ability – I think he will continue improving a lot every year. “Playing with players like Yaya (Toure) or (David) Silva or Kun (Sergio Aguero) will help him to improve. I trust you will see Raheem scoring a lot more goals than he scored in other seasons for Liverpool.” Another new signing, midfielder Fabian Delph, will miss Monday’s season-opener at West Brom with a hamstring injury while defender Gael Clichy is out with an ankle problem. Press Association
De Gea will once again be in the stands when United take on Newcastle at Old Trafford on Saturday because Van Gaal feels the Spaniard is still not able to focus properly because of Real Madrid’s interest in him. According to reports in Spain, the 10-time European champions will make one last attempt to sign the goalkeeper before the window shuts on September 1. If history is anything to go by, Van Gaal will be able to rely on one of his current crop to find the goals against Newcastle on Saturday. Wayne Rooney has scored 11 goals in 17 Barclays Premier League appearances for United against the Magpies. The United skipper, who is yet to find the net this year, admitted in midweek that his performance in the 1-0 win over Aston Villa was not good enough. Van Gaal was encouraged to see honesty from his skipper, and backed him to hit form soon. “When you are saying so publicly that you are so bad then you know you are very bad at that time,” Van Gaal said. “I think it’s fantastic that a player admits that. For me it’s unbelievable because he is one of a few players saying such things. “He is taking a risk, but he is very confident that he shall make the goals we expect from him and I am confident also.” But after a week in which United’s reputation took a blow following Pedro’s move to Chelsea, Van Gaal came out fighting at his pre-match press conference on Friday. The Dutchman insisted the lure of United remains as strong as their desire to hold on to their two-time player of the year. “I think when Manchester United wants a player he shall come, besides when a club is not selling,” the United manager said at a spiky press conference. “It is the same with us. We are not selling De Gea.” Van Gaal launched a passionate defence of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward despite the fact that former target Pedro signed for Chelsea this week, rather than United. ”I have the idea you want to separate Ed Woodward with me. Never. Never,” Van Gaal said. ”Because every day I am updated by him and I trust him. ”I don’t think they (the critics) have to doubt Ed Woodward because he has proven already for many, many years he is the right person on the right spot.” Press Association Louis van Gaal insists David De Gea will not leave Manchester United before the transfer window shuts.
Press Association Everton manager Roberto Martinez remains adamant John Stones will not be sold despite the player submitting a transfer request and the “circus” which currently surrounds him. The 21-year-old played in the 5-3 extra-time Capital One Cup win over League One Barnsley just 24 hours after telling the club he wants to leave in order to join Chelsea, who have failed with three bids for the England international. Despite the prospect of the Stamford Bridge side returning again with an offer greater than their last £30million bid, Martinez insists the centre-back will not be leaving and pledged to look after a young player he believes is under huge pressure. “John, for a young man under massive pressure, was terrific,” said Martinez, who revealed he had not yet rejected the transfer request but would do so in the morning as he had been focused on the match. “I am repeating myself but I don’t think it is right for the football authorities to allow the window to be open when there are important games. “We shouldn’t put our players under that massive pressure. It becomes a bit of a circus. “The situation with John is very clear. We care about him, we will protect him and make sure we give him everything we can to allow him to enjoy his football. “Clearly we have got to a point – in life and football – when sometimes money can’t buy everything and I think that is going to be a very strong statement at Everton. “We have a chairman who will do the right thing for the club and for the team and as a true Evertonian we are clear he will not be easily influenced in taking the money and accepting things which will clearly make our team weaker. “This is not a moment of the campaign when we can use any money to get us stronger.” “It is a reminder for everyone that whenever you go into a game it does not matter what type of opposition you play, if you are not 100 per cent you will find it tough,” he added. “I was delighted with our reaction in the second half. Some of the football and goals and chances were fantastic. “We should have scored more and it shows a really strong intent that sends a message we really care about the cup and want to do well.” Barnsley head coach Lee Johnson could not fault his players for their performance. “I am very proud. For large parts of that game we were equal to a top Premier League side,” he said. “We are disappointed not to come out of the tie winning, certainly given the position we were in, but I am so pleased with the players.”
Boss Tony Pulis hopes the Saido Berahino saga is over after the striker made his West Brom comeback. A forgettable 0-0 draw with Southampton saw the 22-year-old return after his strike threat following a blocked move to Tottenham on deadline day. He failed to shine, though, as the Baggies had to settle for a dull draw at The Hawthorns. Berahino had missed the last three games with Pulis concerned about his state of mind during the saga as Albion rejected four bids from Tottenham over the summer. He threatened on Twitter never to play for the club again b ut after many home fans sung his name, despite some booing, Pulis wants to draw a line under the affair. He said: “I’m pleased he had such a great reception, that’s wonderful and it shows the quality and the depth of our supporters to have given him such a reception. “He’s a young boy. He’s made mistakes and everybody in this room has made mistakes in their life. “What he’s got to do is learn by them, move on and make sure he doesn’t make them again. “I just hope and pray he does that because he is a talent. “When we brought him on in the second half you saw glimpses and bits and pieces of what he can do. “I was not surprised by the reaction, n ot from this crowd. T he crowd here have been wonderful, absolutely wonderful.” Callum McManaman felt he should have had a penalty in the first half after going down under Matt Targett’s challenge but Albion failed to seriously test Maarten Stekelenburg. Jay Rodriguez wasted Southampton’s best opening, in a game of few chances, when he headed wide from six yards in the first half. But Southampton kept their third straight clean sheet with new signing Celtic Virgil van Dijk impressing on his debut. Boss Ronald Koeman said: “Virgil was in my opinion impressive. He looks very comfortable with his new team-mates and good in defending and we know also one of his qualities is in his passing from the back. He played perfectly today. “That’s positive (clean sheets), because in my opinion it starts always at the back and a clean sheet normally makes a winning game. We have to realise that we have to create more. “I think the best chance maybe was in the first half for Jay Rodriguez, and we were not good enough in the final part in attacking, not clinical enough. Sometimes we make too difficult choices in our final pass. If you can’t win, don’t lose.” Press Association
An unbeaten century from Craig Ervine sealed Zimbabwe’s first one-day series win for more than two years after a five-wicket victory over Ireland gave the hosts an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match series in Harare. Ireland then restricted the hosts to 53 for two until Ervine, who hit a half-century in Zimbabwe’s two-wicket win on Friday, came to the crease and claimed another half-century off 68 balls before hitting the winning runs off a boundary in the 48th over to register his second ODI ton. Zimbabwe won the toss and for the second consecutive match chose to bowl first, but a much-improved batting display saw Paul Stirling’s rapid 72, Niall O’Brien’s half-century and Gary Wilson’s quick-fire 65 help Ireland reach 268 for seven from their 50 overs. Paceman Sikandar Raza was the pick of the bowlers as he took three for 49, including the wickets of O’Brien and Stirling. Press Association
Boss Mark Hughes said at his press conference on Tuesday: “We are hopeful. It’s fair to say it progressed significantly this morning. We hope at some point we will be able to announce a big signing for us.” Despite seemingly missing out on Berahino, Newcastle continued to reinforce their squad with the loan signing of Seydou Doumbia from Roma until the end of the season. The Magpies had already spent nearly £29million on Andros Townsend, Jonjo Shelvey and Henri Saivet before deadline day arrived. Meanwhile, Ayoze Perez has committed his future to Newcastle by signing a new five-and-a-half-year contract which ties him to St James’ Park until the summer of 2021. Also in the north-east, Middlesbrough bolstered their Championship promotion push by signing Scotland striker Jordan Rhodes from Blackburn on a four and a half year deal, as well as bringing in defender Ritchie de Laet on loan from Leicester. Boro’s promotion rivals Hull also strengthened their squad as they landed Manchester United midfielder Nick Powell on loan from Old Trafford, and Dusan Kuciak from Legia Warsaw for an undisclosed fee. Arsene Wenger released Mathieu Debuchy and Yaya Sanogo on loan to Bordeaux and Charlton respectively, while across north London Tottenham have sent Alex Pritchard on loan to West Brom. Spurs defender Federico Fazio has joined his old club Sevilla on loan while Serbia Under-21 midfielder Milos Veljkovic has moved to Werder Bremen on a permanent deal. Watford have paid in the region of £8million to lure 23-year-old midfielder Abdoulaye Doucoure from French club Rennes – and immediately sent him to La Liga Granada on loan. The Hornets have also signed Venezuelan forward Adalberto Penaranda, who will also stay on loan at Granada until the end of the season. Swansea have brought in Leroy Fer on loan from QPR and loaned Eder to Lille for the rest of the season, while Bournemouth have re-signed Welsh left-back Rhoys Wiggins from Sheffield Wednesday. Despite rumours of a move for Charles N’Zogbia, Sunderland’s only activity on deadline day appeared to be the loaning of midfielder Jordi Gomez to Blackburn and striker Steven Fletcher to Marseille for the rest of the season. Oumar Niasse sealed a £13.5million move to Everton but Saido Berahino appeared resigned to staying at West Brom as a largely underwhelming transfer deadline day limped towards its conclusion. Toffees boss Roberto Martinez swooped to capture the 25-year-old Lokomotiv Moscow striker on a four-and-a-half-year deal after completing formalities at the club’s Finch Farm training complex earlier in the day. The Senegal international told evertontv: “It’s a great day for me, a big dream to play in the Premier League and a big dream to play for Everton. “Everton is one of the best teams in the Premier League and the Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world.” Niasse becomes the club’s third most expensive signing after Romelu Lukaku (£28million) and Marouane Fellaini (£15million) and could make his debut in this weekend’s Barclays Premier League match at Stoke. The Toffees have loaned Aiden McGeady to Championship play-off hopefuls Sheffield Wednesday. Meanwhile Berahino took to Twitter to apparently rule out the possibility of a deadline day move away from The Hawthorns. Referencing his social media outburst in January when he was denied a late move to Tottenham, Berahino wrote: ” Everyone waiting once again for the silly little spoilt boy to make same mistake so here you go. Goodnight all and thanks for the support.” Earlier, the Baggies had rejected a £21million bid from Newcastle and stressed there was no chance of Berahino being allowed to move before the end of the transfer window. In one of the biggest potential deals still brewing, Stoke were closing in on £18million-rated Porto striker Giannelli Imbula. The Potters are believed to have agreed a deal for the 23-year-old which will comfortably outstrip the £12million they spent to lure Xherdan Shaqiri from Inter Milan. Press Association
Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, a show about a 1950’s housewife-turned stand-up comedian in New York City is headed to Miami. The show will film some scenes in Miami for its third season this summer. The role of Miriam “Midge” Maisel is played by actress Rachel Brosnahan.Actor Tony Shalhoub who plays the role of Madge’s father said in an interview, “I think I’ve heard that we’re going to Miami in June. That’s all I know…it’s about [Midge’s] tour but that’s all I got.”There’s no word yet on which cast members will be in Miami during the time of filming.
Three people are dead and 15 others have been injured after a shooting occurred at a California Garlic festival.The incident occurred on the last day of the festival around 5:30 p.m in Gilory, California.According to Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee, the gunman cut through a fence bordering the event to avoid security and opened fire on the crowd of people.Officials reported to the shooting with minutes but not before the gunman killed three people including a 6-year-old and injured 15 others. At least five of those victims were treated and released, however, several others remain under hospital care with injuries ranging from severe to critical.Chief Smithee: Gun shots were heard around 5:41pm and officers engaged #GilroyActiveShooter in less than a minute. Witnesses stated there may be a 2nd shooter, investigation continues.— Gilroy Police (@GilroyPD) July 29, 2019 Some witnesses reported that there may have been another gunman, but authorities reported that they are unsure if that person was just providing assistance or if that person was involved.As of Sunday evening, authorities were still investigating the possibility of the second gunman.
Attorney General William Barr says Apple isn’t helping the feds unlock two iPhones used by the Saudi military officer who killed three people at a Florida Navy base last month. He calls the shooting an act of terrorism.Barr has called on Apple to help the FBI with accessing phones in acts of terror. The call comes in the wake of the deadly shooting rampage by the Saudi Airman who opened fire on the Pensacola Air Base last month. Apple rejects the characterization it has not provided substantive assistance in the Pensacola investigation.The Saudi national in training at the base killed three and injured eight others before American forces shot and killed him.The shooter actually fired a round through one of the phones to disable it. Investigators were able to get both phones up in running but haven’t been able to crack the encrypted passwords. But Apple says it started working with investigators round-the-clock within hours of the shooting December 6th and didn’t know the FBI needed more help until January 6th.Barr says it is imperative that the FBI finds out with whom and about what the terror suspect was communicating.The issue is similar to what happened after a 2015 mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, when a locked iPhone belonging to one of the shooters sparked a debate over privacy versus the needs of law enforcement.