Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
ITV’s 2017 annual report showed the improvement in its schemes’ funding position had been largely down to a major update of membership data. This had removed £145m from the net shortfall, alongside a further £80m employer contribution and £53m in investment gains.#*#*Show Fullscreen*#*# UK broadcaster ITV has eradicated the net pension deficit of its defined benefit (DB) schemes, marking an improvement of more than £300m (€340m) in just 15 months.In a first-quarter trading update on Thursday, ITV said it had reduced the net deficit to “nil” as of 31 March – down from £83m at the end of December last year. On 31 December 2016, the deficit stood at £328m.“The decrease reflects the deficit funding contributions and a slight increase in corporate bond yields,” ITV said.The deficit was calculated on an IAS 19 accounting basis, and the company emphasised that on an actuarial valuation, the shortfall on section A of the three-part defined benefit scheme was £489m at 1 January 2017. Source: ITV plc annual reportA new eight-year funding plan was agreed with the trustees for section A of £60m a year until December 2025, ITV said. The company committed to paying in £80m in total per year to the three schemes, including contributions to sections B and C.In the case of the latter two sections, ITV said it was “still in negotiation with the trustees in relation to 2017 funding valuations but [we continue] to pay the deficit funding contributions of £5.5m per annum which were agreed as part of the previous valuation discussions”.ITV closed its DB schemes to new members in 2006 and then to future accruals in 2017.As part of its annual report for 2017, the company said its balance sheet remained strong and the business continued to be highly cash generative.Earlier this year, the broadcaster squared off in court with the UK’s Pensions Regulator, which was pushing for ITV to fund a £90m deficit in the DB scheme of a former joint venture, Box Clever. Box Clever was launched by ITV (then known as Granada) in 2000 with fellow broadcaster Thorn, but declared bankruptcy in 2003.The case was heard in February at the Upper Tribunal and a judgement is expected later this year.
NZ Herald 22 March 2014The Salvation Army says it was unaware it would be taking over as the lead agency for gambling addiction services after the Ministry of Health controversially cut funding to the Problem Gambling Foundation.The foundation’s failure to win a tender after 20 years as the main provider prompted claims by Opposition parties that it was being punished for publicly criticising the National Government’s pokies-for-convention centre deal with SkyCity casino.Associate Health Minister Peter Dunne strongly rejected that claim, saying that the funding decision was the result of a robust, independent review which had looked to improve the sector’s value for money.The Salvation Army – which also publicly opposed the National-SkyCity deal – would take over as the main provider for addiction services because it was believed to be able to make nearly $5 million in funding go further.National manager of addictions Captain Gerry Walker said he had not yet been shown a contract and “did not know what the situation is”.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11224123
A report from the UK medical charity, Save the Children, shows Somali mothers are the most likely to die due to complications in child birth. CCTV’s Mohamed Hirmoge reports from Mogadishu. Six Die From Alcohol Withdrawal Complications in Kenya UNAIDS: Men more likely to die of AIDS than women UN Mission in Somali Related
“The police frontliners are those manning the quarantine controlpoints or checkpoints and those enforcing quarantine policies. Sila talaga ang pinaka-expose. Veryhazardous. Baka mahawa sila. Iba’t-ibangtao ang nakasasalamuha nila araw-araw. They deserve hazard pay,” saidPamuspusan. Iloilo City police officers guard this patrol car full of arrested persons not observing social distancing. Even at night, the cops are working to enforce the enhanced community quarantine to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN ILOILO City – Police officers on frontline duties during the enhancedcommunity quarantine are getting P500 daily hazard pay. He also assured the safety of the police manning quarantine controlpoints by providing them with personal protective equipment (PPE). The pay started Friday last week, April 17, according to PoliceBrigadier General Rene Pamuspusan, director of the Police Regional Office 6(PRO-6). In Camp Crame, the national headquarters of the Philippine NationalPolice, PNP chief General Archie Gamboa said the hazard pay “should furtherboost the financial flexibility of our troops and their families apart from thefull range of salary and allowances in April, sans any deduction for loanamortization for this month.” The hazard pay would be given until the quarantine is lifted. “Another P5,000 windfall is also due for all PSMBFI (Public SafetyMutual Benefit Fund, Inc.) members as financial assistance to see them throughthis crisis,” added Gamboa. “As a member of the (Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management ofEmerging Infectious Diseases), I am a witness to the hardships of our men andwomen in uniform who endure long hours at work in the field, away from thecomforts of their home and family, and uncertain of the fate that awaits themat the frontline. But needless to say, each and every member of the policeforce knows by heart the reason why we need to pass this way – because it is aprofessional calling and a sworn responsibility to serve, bestowed upon us bythe people,” said Gamboa. Gamboa thanked all police officers for their unwavering support andsacrifices in performing their duty to uphold law enforcement as the countrybattles an “unseen enemy” – SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the coronavirusdisease 2019 (COVID-19). “Dapat ingatan natin angating katawan. Bawal magkasakit ngayon. But we have to be alert,too, of lawless elements who may take advantage of the current situation,” hesaid./PN For his part, Pamuspusan told his men to take care of themselves whilecarrying out their mandate which is to secure the public .
Sunman, In. — The Sunman-Dearborn Community Schools is pleased to announce book bills for the 2018-2019 school year for all students in grades K-12 will be $35. This represents a reduction of $65 to over $200 for students, depending on grade. This is made possible through the generous support of the Sunman-Dearborn Community Schools Endowment.According to Andrew Jackson, Superintendent “With the various costs for families around the beginning of the school year, the Sunman-Dearborn Community Schools Endowment is excited to provide some financial relief to parents when school starts next year.”In addition, online payment will be part of the online registration process for next year as well.Parents of students in grades 6-12 will still be able to purchase the optional Chromebook Protection Plan for $25.
Premier League Champions Liverpool will face Championship winners Leeds United in the standout opening weekend game of the 2020-21 season. Promoted Content6 Natural History Museums That Are Really, Really GoodEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show YouBest Car Manufacturers In The World5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksHere Are The Best Movies Since 1982 You Should Definitely SeeBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The WorldThe Best Cars Of All Time20 Photos Of Kendall Jenner That Force You Love Her Even More Those two games will not be played on the opening weekend to give City and United 30 days since their defeats in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and the semi-finals of the Europa League respectively. Chelsea and Wolverhampton Wanderers’ opening matches are both scheduled for Monday, 14 September after their slightly earlier European exits. The Blues are at Brighton, while Wolves go to Sheffield United. The opening round of fixtures will take place on the weekend of 12 September. However, Manchester City v Aston Villa and Burnley v Manchester United will be rearranged. Loading… Read Also: Bayern current squad better than 2013 treble heroes, says Neuer The other opening weekend fixtures are Crystal Palace v Southampton, Tottenham Hotspur v Everton and West Ham United v Newcastle United. Exact dates and kick-off times will be confirmed when the television selections are made. The English Football League fixtures are expected to be announced on Friday. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Championship play-off winners Fulham will host Arsenal, while West Bromwich Albion, the third promoted side, are at home to Leicester City.
Attorney General William Barr says Apple isn’t helping the feds unlock two iPhones used by the Saudi military officer who killed three people at a Florida Navy base last month. He calls the shooting an act of terrorism.Barr has called on Apple to help the FBI with accessing phones in acts of terror. The call comes in the wake of the deadly shooting rampage by the Saudi Airman who opened fire on the Pensacola Air Base last month. Apple rejects the characterization it has not provided substantive assistance in the Pensacola investigation.The Saudi national in training at the base killed three and injured eight others before American forces shot and killed him.The shooter actually fired a round through one of the phones to disable it. Investigators were able to get both phones up in running but haven’t been able to crack the encrypted passwords. But Apple says it started working with investigators round-the-clock within hours of the shooting December 6th and didn’t know the FBI needed more help until January 6th.Barr says it is imperative that the FBI finds out with whom and about what the terror suspect was communicating.The issue is similar to what happened after a 2015 mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, when a locked iPhone belonging to one of the shooters sparked a debate over privacy versus the needs of law enforcement.
Latest posts by Hugh Bowden (see all) Bio Catcher Dakota Chipman of the GSA Eagles reaches to tag Josh Gray of the Bucksport Golden Bucks in Bucksport’s 1-0 win over the Eagles in Blue Hill. Gray was called safe on his headfirst slide, which came in the top of the seventh.Josh Gray singled, raced to third on an infield out and scored on a wild pitch to lift the Golden Bucks to a 1-0 win over the GSA Eagles on Wednesday, May 7, in Blue Hill.The game was a classic pitchers’ duel between righthanders Carter DeRedin of Bucksport and Kelsey Allen of GSA.DeRedin had the edge, allowing just two hits — a pair of singles by Garrison Looke — while striking out five batters and walking just one.Allen scattered six hits and pitched his way out of a couple of jams.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textBucksport left two runners aboard in the second inning and again in the sixth, but Allen and the Eagles held the Golden Bucks scoreless until the top of the seventh.With one out, the speedy Gray singled and then went all the way to third as GSA third baseman Looke fielded Asher Bowden’s grounder and threw him out at first.With Cyr at the plate, Allen threw a pitch in the dirt that rolled a few feet away from catcher Dakota Chipman.Chipman quickly retrieved the ball and made a diving attempt to get Gray on his headfirst slide at the plate, but the tag was too late.That proved to be the only run the Golden Bucks needed as DeRedin retired the Eagles in order in the bottom of the inning.Gray had a pair of singles for Bucksport.Find in-depth coverage of local news in The Ellsworth American. Subscribe digitally or in print. Latest Posts GSA surges in 4th to win Northern Maine title – February 26, 2017 Like he did in the ’60s, Noel Paul Stookey sings out in troubling times – December 27, 2017 Is this the kind of government we deserve? – July 10, 2017 Hugh BowdenExecutive EditorHugh writes editorials, covers Hancock County sports and helps out where needed in The American’s editorial department. When he’s not on the sidelines, he enjoys playing jazz and tennis. email@example.com
Speedway Motorsports owns the Atlanta, Bristol, Charlotte, Kentucky, Las Vegas, New Hampshire, Sonoma and Texas tracks. The coronavirus pandemic caused NASCAR to suspend the season just four events into a 36-race schedule. To date, Speedway Motorsports has had its races at Atlanta, Texas and Bristol postponed.Tracks receive a significant financial payout from NASCAR’s television contract, but that revenue has stopped without racing.Both NASCAR and Speedway Motorsports are hoping to restart the season May 24 with the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. ___Novak Djokovic has been praised by the director general of the local health authority in Bergamo for his donation to help control the coronavirus outbreak in Italy. The women’s league was due to start its 2020 season on Thursday, but the Belarus soccer federation says it is now “suspended until further notice.”The federation says “several” players had contact with “possible carriers” of the coronavirus.Belarus is the only country in Europe still playing professional men’s soccer games with spectators in the stands. However, attendance has plummeted in recent weeks as many fans chose to stay away.Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has opposed strict lockdown measures and even played in an ice hockey game in front of spectators last month.___ April 15, 2020 Peter Assembergs says “we never expected to see on our bank account a donation from such a prestigious person.”Assembergs says “reading among the donators the name of the best tennis player in the world … made me emotional.”The money will be used to help buy ventilators and other medical equipment.Djokovic, his wife and their foundation recently donated 1 million euros (about $1.1 million) to help hospitals in Serbia.___ This year’s Tour de France will start on Aug. 29 and finish on Sept. 20 and will be followed by cycling’s two other major races.The International Cycling Union announced the new dates after consulting with race organizer Amaury Sport Organisation. The Tour could not start as scheduled on June 27 because of restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.The UCI also says the world championships will go ahead as planned from Sept. 20-27 and will be followed by the Giro d’Italia and the Spanish Vuelta. No official dates were given for those two major races.The UCI says prestigious one-day road classics such as Paris-Roubaix and Liège-Bastogne-Liège will be maintained at dates still to be defined.___ The Olympic Channel will begin weekly streaming of the U.S. basketball team’s victories in the 1992 Olympics, when Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird headlined the team.The 1992 Olympics were the first that featured NBA players, and the Americans stormed to the gold medal. They won by an average of 44 points per game and were credited with jump-starting basketball’s global growth. The team was inducted to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010.Full game replays will stream at Olympicchannel.com and its apps for mobile, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV and the Roku platform. First up is the Americans’ victory over Angola on Thursday night at 7 p.m. EDT.___Italian soccer will likely resume with the Serie A before the two lower divisions. ___The Chicago Blackhawks have canceled their fan convention due to the COVID-19 pandemic.The annual event was scheduled for July 24-26 at the Hilton Chicago. It gives fans autograph opportunities as well as an audience with management, coaches and players. The team says refunds for convention passes and hotel rooms will be processed automatically.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The start of the new women’s soccer season in Belarus has been delayed by fears that players have been exposed to the new coronavirus. The Italian soccer federation met with its medical commission and says it could consider a staggered start “with priority to Serie A.”The medical commission has also recommended that when clubs resume training they do so in training camps with limited access and with strict screening protocols.Federation president Gabriele Gravina says “we are working without rushing, but without stopping so we will be ready when the relevant institutions give us the go-ahead.”___Speedway Motorsports, owner and operator of eight tracks that host NASCAR’s top Cup Series, has laid off 180 employees and furloughed 100 as part of a company restructuring during the sports shutdown. Major League Eating is launching a bracket-style elimination tournament starting Friday that will air on MLE’s YouTube channel.Among the eight contestants are Joey Chestnut and Miki Sudo, the top-ranked men’s and women’s eaters in the world. They’ll face off via video from their homes in four first-to-finish rounds.In the qualifying round, contestants will need to consume two pounds of sliced bologna. The quarterfinals require one family pack of Oreo cookies and a half-gallon of milk, the semifinals involve 10 pounds of baked beans, and the finals will be 10 individual ramen noodle cups.The winner earns $5,000.MLE and event sponsor BetOnline will donate $10,000 to Feeding America, which has a COVID-19 response fund. Parma has become the second club in Italy’s top soccer division to announce cost-cutting measures in response to the coronavirus pandemic.The club says its first-team players, coaching staff and the sporting director have unanimously agreed to take a salary cut amounting to a month’s wages.Juventus players and coach Maurizio Sarri agreed in March to forgo four months worth of salary.___With no NBA games to watch during the sports shutdown, the Dream Team’s historic romp through Barcelona will be rebroadcast in its entirety. The Latest: Start of women’s soccer in Belarus delayed Associated Press More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6