After a tornado decimated the town in 2007, many builders and designers involved in the reconstruction of Greensburg, Kansas, aimed for green standards that included energy efficient performance significantly above code requirements. But as a recent New York Times feature noted, it doesn’t take a natural disaster – or the threat of one – to propel Kansans toward energy conservation.Instead, folks in this part of the Midwest, where roughly half the population is skeptical about climate change, have been motivated by initiatives that highlight potential savings on energy costs and the prospect of reducing dependence on foreign sources of fossil fuels – and on the use of fossil fuels in general.An important developer of these initiatives has been the Climate and Energy Project, an energy efficiency advocacy group based in Lawrence, and collaborating organizations such as Kansas Interfaith Power & Light, which encourages environmental stewardship among Kansas congregations, and local utilities.A power-saving playThe Climate and Energy Project, for example, sponsored a competition among six towns whose residents where challenged to implement energy-conservation measures, including the adoption of renewable-energy strategies. The remarkable thing is that the competition, called the Take Charge Challenge, produced significant, positive results: energy-use reduction of 6 million kWh – about 5% overall – by the time the yearlong competition ended last spring. What’s more, an annual reduction of 7 million kWh was locked in through the installation of permanent energy-saving measures such as interruptible thermostats, more-efficient air-conditioning systems, and relatively low-cost weatherization improvements. Utilities subsidized some of the improvements, including the cost of compact fluorescent lamps.As noted in a recent Fine Homebuilding post, the Take Charge Challenge was included among 14 case studies presented in a Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory report published last month, titled “Driving Demand for Home Energy Improvements.”The Climate and Energy Project, the Times story added, will use a recent grant from the Kansas Energy Office to coordinate another competition, this one among 16 cities in 2011.
A gang-rape victim from Meerut committed suicide on Monday morning after the Uttar Pradesh police allegedly took no action on her complaint. After the victim, who was resident of Kharkhauda in Meerut, committed suicide, the police tried to distance itself from the incident and claimed that she had not submitted any complaint with them. According to the victim’s complaint, she used to stay in a slum in Kharkhauda and she was allegedly raped by three men with the help of three woman of the slum on June 29. But the Kharkhauda police did not file any FIR when the victim went to the police station with her complaint. According to family members of the victim, she was depressed and tense because no action was being taken against the culprits. “This is a very serious complaint. Action will be taken against the concerned police personnel, if they are found to have not done their job in this case. I am ordering a probe by the SSP (Senior Superintendent of Police),” Inspector General of Police (Meerut range) Rajkumar Verma Verma told the media.
Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “Maybe, the Lord really wanted those games for us,” he said.The Knights will next brace for contenders San Sebastian and Lyceum for their upcoming games next week. Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters “This started from the game against San Beda. They woke us up so that we’ll get a chance to the Final Four,” he said.From a 1-3 record, Letran has nabbed wins over Arellano, St. Benilde, and the latest, a 63-61 squeaker over Perpetual on Friday to rise to solo third place.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThrough that stretch, the Knights have also unearthed valuable contributors from the bench like Jeremiah Taladua, King Caralipio, and Christian Balagasay.Quinto himself has found a way to be more effective as he let senior Rey Nambatac took much of the mantle. Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Bong Quinto. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netAfter three straight wins, Letran seems to be finally getting its groove midway through the NCAA Season 93 men’s basketball tournament.Bong Quinto believes that the Knights’ disheartening 81-74 loss to San Beda two weeks back was the turning point for them as they took the defeat to their fierce rivals to heart.ADVERTISEMENT Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side NGCP on security risk: Chinese just technical advisers Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo #KicksStalker: Kyrie Irving, Kobe Bryant collaborate for Kyrie 3 ‘Bruce Lee’ “I saw that the defense of our opponents is really focusing on Rey, so I thought that I needed to help him and I do that on defense,” he said.The 20-year-old, though, isn’t letting up on his offense and on Friday, Quinto tallied 14 points, nine rebounds, and three assists, including the game-winning drive with 12.6 seconds left to push his side up by two.But Quinto still shared the credit to Nambatac, who trusted him the rock in the waning seconds of the game.“Maybe it just so happened that I got the ball. It wouldn’t have happened if Rey didn’t trust me enough, so I didn’t want to fail him,” he said.Quinto is optimistic that just like this game, chips will continue to fall on Letran’s way going forward.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES View comments
Valencia coach Marcelino wants to send Batshuayi back to Chelseaby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveValencia want to cut short the loan of Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi.AS says the decision was made a month ago, with the Belgian failing to convince coach Marcelino and Los Che directors.Batshuayi had joined Valencia on a season-long loan, with a permanent option of €35m. But now VCF want to send him back to Chelsea next month.They paid €3m for the 12-month loan.The decision is being driven by Marcelino, who wants a more mobile and aggressive centre-forward to lead his attack. TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man Utd legend Neville: Pogba best midfielder in Europeby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the lovePaul Pogba is the best midfielder in Europe, according to Manchester United legend Gary Neville. Things are looking up for Pobga following the departure of manager Jose Mourinho. The Frenchman looks a different player under new manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, having scored twice in the 3-1 win over Huddersfield on Boxing Day.And Neville thinks his form will only improve under the Norwegian.He told BBC’s Match of the Day: “You play for Man United and you talk of freedom of expression, exciting football, go out there and score goals, attacking football, play with a smile on your face and it starts with the manager. “Ole over the last couple of games has been really happy, saying the right things. “They had the best player on the pitch and probably the best midfielder in Europe on his day in Paul Pogba who has had a disappointing, horrendous last 18 months at the club because of the fall-out with the manager.”It looked like the shackles were off, playing with that freedom of expression, anything is possible type attitude, playing with arrogance. The passing was back to his best. “Look, he is the best player at the club when he is at his best and with performances like this he should be a 12-15 goal a season person – he hasn’t been that in his career so far but he can be.”
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say OFF! Crystal Palace pull out of deal for Liverpool striker Solankeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCrystal Palace have pulled out of their deal for Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke.BBC Sport reports Solanke’s proposed loan move to Crystal Palace is off because of concerns over his fitness.Palace manager Roy Hodgson confirmed the 21-year-old was a target for the January transfer window on Sunday.But Solanke has not made a first-team appearance for Liverpool this season and was ruled out of recent matches because of a muscle problem.Palace need a striker who is available to play immediately.
They’re throwing quite a celebration party at the Breslin Center tonight. Michigan State’s men’s basketball team, which clinched a berth into the Final Four earlier this afternoon with a victory against Louisville in the Elite Eight in Syracuse, is back in East Lansing. Tom Izzo’s squad was welcomed home by thousands of roaring fans at their arena. Michigan State is set to face Duke in the Final Four in Indianapolis on Saturday.
YouTubeFox Sports’ national college football writer Bruce Feldman made an appearance on The Herd with Colin Cowherd today. While on the air, Cowherd put Feldman on the spot and asked for his College Football Playoff foursome, as of right now.Feldman declared he would vote for Clemson, LSU, Baylor and Iowa, based off resume. He chose the Hawkeyes over fellow unbeatens Ohio State and Michigan State and went on to highlight Iowa’s win over Northwestern, which beat Stanford, another playoff hopeful. Feldman did qualify his position as picking who he felt was “most deserving” as opposed to “the best teams.” He said if the latter were his criteria, Iowa would be third in the Big Ten pecking order behind the Buckeyes and Spartans. Somehow, we still don’t think that will make OSU or MSU fans feel any better about his opinion. Here’s the video of Feldman and Cowherd breaking down the CFP. Come for the out-of-the-box projections from Feldman, stay for him accidentally referring to Cowherd as “Clay” when he clearly mixed him up with Clay Travis.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Real estate services were awarded to Ron Rodgers with NorthEast BC Realty Ltd as the proponent with the highest scoring submission to help sell the Condil Hotel lots.The City released the RFP for the properties at 10115, 10119 and 10135 100 avenue in February and received two responses.One response was from Brenna Burns (Century 21 Energy Realty) and the other Ron Rodgers (NorthEast BC Realty Ltd.). The submissions were evaluated with a team of staff from Strategic Services and Corporate Services. The evaluation included scoring for marketing services, qualifications, submission, proven performance and references, availability and innovation.Through this evaluation, City staff awarded the contract to Ron Rodgers with NorthEast B.C. Realty Ltd.
Tokyo: Japan’s new Emperor Naruhito formally ascended the Chrysanthemum Throne on Wednesday, a day after his father abdicated from the world’s oldest monarchy and ushered in a new imperial era. Naruhito officially became emperor at the stroke of midnight but the process was formalised with a 10-minute ritual on Wednesday morning that was off-limits to female royals — even his wife Masako. It took place on the first day of the new imperial era of Reiwa, meaning “beautiful harmony”, which will last throughout Naruhito’s reign. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: ReportAt a solemn ceremony in the Imperial Palace’s Room of Pine, the 59-year-old was presented with the items his father Akihito relinquished a day earlier: sacred imperial treasures of a sword and a jewel, as well as the seal of state and his personal imperial seal. The sole woman allowed to attend was the only female member of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s cabinet. Shortly afterwards, joined by Masako and other royals, Naruhito was to address the nation for the first time as its 126th emperor. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protestsHe will also make a public appearance on Saturday when he will again speak to the people of Japan. But the pomp and ceremony will wait until October 22 when he and Masako will appear in elaborate traditional robes for a ceremony in the palace before parading through the streets of the capital to be congratulated by a host of world leaders and royals. Naruhito will greet his first foreign head of state as emperor later this month, when US President Donald Trump visits Japan to meet the new monarch. The Oxford-educated Naruhito faces the delicate balancing act of continuing his father’s legacy of bringing the monarchy closer to the people while upholding the centuries-old traditions of the Chrysanthemum Throne. Like his popular father Akihito, he has warned of the need to remember World War II “correctly,” without downplaying Japan’s early 20th-century militarism. He has also spoken of the need to modernise the royal family, and vowed when he married Masako — who left behind a promising diplomatic career — to protect her “at any cost”. She has struggled however to adjust to palace life, including being subjected to enormous pressure to produce a male heir, and has suffered stress-induced “adjustment disorder” for much of their marriage. The couple have one child, a 17-year-old daughter called Aiko, who cannot inherit the throne because she is female. In a statement released on her birthday in December, Masako pledged to do her best despite feeling “insecure” about becoming empress. In the candid statement, she said she was recovering and could “perform more duties than before”, crediting the “powerful support” of the public. Naruhito is ascending the throne in a very different Japan to the one his father took over when he became emperor in 1989. Then, Japan ruled the world economically, its technology was the envy of every industrialised nation, and its stock market was at highs unlikely to be matched again. At the height of the bubble, Japanese investors were snapping up paintings like Van Gogh’s “Sunflowers” and US landmarks including the Rockefeller Center in Manhattan as “money was dripping off trees” — in the words of one former banker. But following a “lost decade” after the bubble burst, Japan is still locked in a battle against deflation and sluggish growth while its population ages rapidly and many rural areas suffer from depopulation as young people move to cities. Akihito’s abdication, the first in 200 years, has resulted in an unprecedented 10-day public holiday for the famously hard-working Japanese, with many taking advantage of the break to travel. But despite the holiday exodus, and steady driving rain on Tuesday night, crowds still gathered at Tokyo’s famous Shibuya crossing at the clock struck midnight to welcome the Reiwa era. “The emperor was a good person… He was the symbol of Japan,” said Rika Yamamoto, a 24-year-old company employee sheltering under an umbrella on the crossing. “I hope the new emperor will carry on the kindness the old emperor had.” Political parties across the spectrum also welcomed the new emperor — including the Communist Party, whose official platform considers the monarchy incompatible with democracy.